Velocity

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
faonfaon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Velocity

Post by faonfaon »

Hi,

Can we say that there is a relation between velocity and dynamics such as piano, forte, mezzo forte ?
I mean, did someone already decide for exemple that : "piano" is velocity from 50 to 70 and "forte" from 90 to 110 and then drew the curves ?
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio
stubbsonic

Re: Velocity

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm sure someone has made some kind of definitive "conversion scale", however, I think their efforts may be wasted. Kurzweil's K2xxx series even had some kind of velocity map editor that had ppp, pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff and assigned the velocity ranges to those levels.

The issue is that you don't really know how the synth, sampler, virtual instrument, etc. will scale the volume & filter (etc.) You could make some general statements like ppp is from 1-20-ish. and fff is 120(ish)-127-- but how a dynamic will "read" is context sensitive and subjective.

I can see how a person who might be trying to design a program that will "listen" to MIDI and generate dynamic markings based on velocity values, might want to make some educated guesses. That's fine. Or a person wanting to "faithfully" capture a score might want to know if they are in the ballpark, with their playing. But I don't think it is going to be very reliable.

But taking it a little further, you could have a bunch of serious musicians listen to a range of notes and have them all move some pointers to where they think the dynamic ranges change-- then take the average of that and be done.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
faonfaon

Re: Velocity

Post by faonfaon »

Thank you Stubbsonic ! That's interesting !
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio