A way to select the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th note in MIDI edit?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: A way to select the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th note in MIDI edit

Post by rockman413 »

stubbsonic wrote:Did you select all the notes (odds and evens, just the whole batch) first, then select that menu item? That way it knows which notes you want to process for selection.
Yes I did, but after click on even/odd notes, nothing became selected ....
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:I'm in between hosts right now. Dropbox will no longer support inline BBCode, so I can't imbed a picture. Here's a link to the Search Dialog. Click it and you will see the grid I'm talking about.

Use the check-boxes on the grid to indicate select the notes you want to select.
You can connect them or make them separate. Lots of subtlety there. You'll have to figure it out. It's self-explanatory, plus there is the manual. But you will have to invest the time to learn to get what you want out of it.

Shooshie
Thank you but I know this. My question is how to select the even/odd notes
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

philbrown wrote:
rockman413 wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Yes. Use the Search feature. For what you're asking, the answer will probably be the grid mode.
Can you elaborate more? do you mean search feature in help? grid mode ?
For future reference, the help menu can... well, help.
It's the rightmost menu item. I typed 'Search' and it immediately showed where it was (where cuttime indicated). The manual is searchable as well.
You completely missed my point, but that's OK.
I was honestly trying to help in general and not specifically answer your question.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Horse —> Water —> Drink [≠]
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Shooshie wrote:Horse —> Water —> Drink [≠]
Everyone learns differently.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:
Yeah, I guess in this case a video would have been the shortest route to success. But videos take time to make, edit, and upload. Still, for people to understand the power lurking in that Search feature, it probably would take a video to get them to that "oh wow!" point, where mind is blown and you just have to learn to master the search.

The only drawback to the complex searches like this one is the time it takes to set it up the first time. After that, you've got it saved, and it's a one-click search!

It occurs to me that the OP might be working without a conductor track, that is, without actual bars and beats. In that case, this aspect of the search feature would be of no use. It depends on actual consistent locations of notes within the beats. In other words, the odd-numbered notes would have to consistently fall between locations 1/000 and 1/479, or 3/000 and 3/479 inclusive. If you haven't got a beat map, you can't search for beats!

I tell people that it's worth the time to create a beat map — Record Beats, and Adjust Beats — before editing a MIDI performance, but a lot of people are in a hurry and think it's a waste of time. The Search feature shows you how much time and frustration you can save by taking the 15 minutes or so needed to make a beat map. It doesn't have to be perfect, but once you learn WHY you are making a beat map, you get better at doing it quickly while being sure to get the notes within their beats, and not outside of them.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:
Yeah, I guess in this case a video would have been the shortest route to success. But videos take time to make, edit, and upload. Still, for people to understand the power lurking in that Search feature, it probably would take a video to get them to that "oh wow!" point, where mind is blown and you just have to learn to master the search.

The only drawback to the complex searches like this one is the time it takes to set it up the first time. After that, you've got it saved, and it's a one-click search!

It occurs to me that the OP might be working without a conductor track, that is, without actual bars and beats. In that case, this aspect of the search feature would be of no use. It depends on actual consistent locations of notes within the beats. In other words, the odd-numbered notes would have to consistently fall between locations 1/000 and 1/479, or 3/000 and 3/479 inclusive. If you haven't got a beat map, you can't search for beats!

I tell people that it's worth the time to create a beat map — Record Beats, and Adjust Beats — before editing a MIDI performance, but a lot of people are in a hurry and think it's a waste of time. The Search feature shows you how much time and frustration you can save by taking the 15 minutes or so needed to make a beat map. It doesn't have to be perfect, but once you learn WHY you are making a beat map, you get better at doing it quickly while being sure to get the notes within their beats, and not outside of them.

Shoosh
I do use a conductor's track... Plus, the DP has a function of search for even/odd notes, it's just it does not work out in my case, so I'm asking other user's experience of how to get this to work, probably I'll see where the problem is ....
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

I still could not make it work ... Help!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Rockman, I've used that very thing — select odd beats — within the past few months. Worked fine. I do not remember if I tweaked it first. But it worked. What more can I do? I just don't know what else to tell you. Have you mastered the grid? Do you understand the check boxes for "pairs of checked points form ranges?" and "include start point / end point?"

What about Boolean operators: and, or, & not? Are you using those correctly? I don't know your experience level with database technology, so I don't know if you're missing something in the way you are searching, or if something truly is broken. All I can say is to review your technique and make sure you haven't missed a single box in the interface.

Shoosh
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

rockman413 wrote:I still could not make it work ... Help!
1. Describe your exact process step by step, including what kind of notes you are selecting, how you are selecting them.
2. Describe exactly what you see in the search window
3. Describe exactly what result you get (i.e., nothing happens, no notes selected, etc.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com