Tightening up Gypsy Jazz Band, Aligning Audio Slow no beats

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tbrianmann
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tightening up Gypsy Jazz Band, Aligning Audio Slow no beats

Post by tbrianmann »

Best tools for aligning audio? I've been recording my Gypsy Jazz Band, and find it useful to tighten our band a bit. I haven't been able to get find beats working or the last year, so I've been using strip silence, but that has been hit or miss for finding individual strums on the guitars. So I've wound up manually cutting each strum and then selecting and quantizing then fine tuning. I found that adding 20 ticks or so of positive offset helped it sound more natural. But,.......... it takes......... for...........ever.
What do you guys, gals use to do this kind of thing? I did my due diligence and searched first but couldn't find much. OK hope to hear from you.

Brian, the Accordion Guy.
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
mikehalloran

Re: Tightening up Gypsy Jazz Band, Aligning Audio Slow no be

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 9 has Precision Delay plugin for this purpose. I don't recall if DP 8 has it, too but I think it does.
http://motu.com/products/software/dp/plug-ins.html

I use Eventide Precision Time Align plug for the same thing because I like the interface but no reason why the MOTU plug shouldn't do exactly what you need.
https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/plugins

Melodyne Studio 4 has this functionality as well
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

MIke, thank you I will check that out.
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Quantizing audio works pretty well for drums sometimes but, as you note, is unlikely to produce great results on guitar strums. When tightening tracks, I use my ears and eyes... things don't have to be perfect to sound good, but some players tend to push the beat (rush) in a semi-consistent way. In such cases, shifting an entire track settles the groove down. After getting the overall groove, if I find sections that rush or drag, I create a new region in that area of audio, then shift for feel using arrow keys.

Of course, the best answer is to have everyone play in the pocket, but sometimes a pocket can develop a hole...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Best way: tight gypsies.

:koolaid:

Which reminds me: I used to manage one of the best Gypsy jazz bands I've ever heard: Cafe Noir. Those guys rocked in a way that brought back shades of Stefan Grapelli, Django, and their own mysterious quality, which I suppose was the "Noir" part. The bass player, whose name I will remember 30 minutes after posting this, was one of the best bassists I've heard. But the same could be said for all of them, at least in the personnel lineup they had when I was working with them. Incredible fun, and an honor to have been in any way affiliated with them.

Shoosh

Bass player: Lyles West. Told ya I'd remember it later.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|