Delay digital output in DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Delay digital output in DP9

Post by rockman413 »

Hi I want to shift/delay all the digital output(adat 1-2, adat 3-4,etc..) by 3ms in my DP9, so it can match other sound sources. How can I do this?
1. Is there a way to do this without a plugin?
2. If I use a plugin, I can insert a plugin Precision Delay to delay 3ms, but would the above phase displaying window/align change the sound of that track? If I add a regular delay and set the feedback to 0% and bypass the filter, would the delay plugin change/affect the sound of that track?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
Phil O

Re: Delay digital output in DP9

Post by Phil O »

rockman413 wrote:1. Is there a way to do this without a plugin?
As far as I know there's no way to do that without a plugin short of nudging all soundbites 3ms. You might try fiddling with Fine Tune Audio I/O Timing under Setup menu, but I don't know if that will do it for you.
2. If I use a plugin, I can insert a plugin Precision Delay to delay 3ms, but would the above phase displaying window/align change the sound of that track? If I add a regular delay and set the feedback to 0% and bypass the filter, would the delay plugin change/affect the sound of that track?
You can use the Echo plugin.
Set the mix to 100%
the tempo lock to real time
the feedback gain to 0
one of the taps to a gain of 1 (all others to zero) and set that tap's delay to 3 ms.

As far as I know this will not alter the sound in any way, simply delay it.

Echo is a simple four tap delay with feedback. I think it's name causes people to think of it as something else, so it doesn't get much attention. It's very limited, but it's simplicity makes it perfect for the sort of thing you're doing.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

rockman413 wrote:Hi I want to shift/delay all the digital output(adat 1-2, adat 3-4,etc..) by 3ms in my DP9, so it can match other sound sources. How can I do this?
I've used Precision Delay for exactly this purpose without issue, as long as both channels are delayed by the exact same amount.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

guitardood wrote:
rockman413 wrote:Hi I want to shift/delay all the digital output(adat 1-2, adat 3-4,etc..) by 3ms in my DP9, so it can match other sound sources. How can I do this?
I've used Precision Delay for exactly this purpose without issue, as long as both channels are delayed by the exact same amount.
I suppose I can do the same with "Delay" with feedback set to 0 and mix to 100%. Precision Delay cost more CPU according the manual , do you think?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I use AUDelay in situations where one or more channels are sent out to an external processor. You can set delay in msecs and leave it at that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

rockman413 wrote:
guitardood wrote:
I suppose I can do the same with "Delay" with feedback set to 0 and mix to 100%. Precision Delay cost more CPU according the manual , do you think?
I've used the "Delay" also, mainly to create haas effect. Should probably work for your purpose, but make sure the the filter is set to Bypass. I like Precision Delay because of the ability to have negative delay. Probably one of the reasons why it has a higher CPU cost.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".