DP9/Chunks/VEP Preserve

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ParanoidAndroid
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9/Chunks/VEP Preserve

Post by ParanoidAndroid »

Hi there

I have a problem with DP not disconnecting from unpreserved instances of VEP. For example I have a 5 different Chunks in DP with 2-3 different VEPs in each and every time I go to other chunk I want all instance from previous one be unloaded. This is what the preserve function suppose to do I believe. But even thought I switch to other chunk all instances in VEP stay connected and dont unload/release memory. That's quite confusing for me. Anyone could point out what I'm doing or understanding wrong? It seems like actually going to next chunk doesn't disable the previous one. When I delete one a chunk though it unloads... That's totally not working the way I imagine.

Thanks for any tips!
FMiguelez

Re: DP9/Chunks/VEP Preserve

Post by FMiguelez »

Switching to other chunks is not enough. You must physically turn the VIs off in the Chunks window by clicking on the little corresponding on/off button. And you turn on the ones you want as needed.

I do this all the time and it works great with DP 9.02.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ParanoidAndroid

Thanks for your replay. I was hoping that won't be a solution because finding these VI's along dozen of tracks is quite troublesome. I was really imaging that everything expect the opened chunk got shut down. That's pretty shame it works that way as you confirm that. :? That need just turned out in a occasion of feature project with many chunks when I had to jump back and forth between cues and ended up with RAM filled becouse of VEP instances hanging in there, so just been closing them manually. But I was hoping to have a workflow like I open new chunk, everything get unloaded - ram gets free up and next one loads. That at least makes sense to me.

That's denying a bit a concept of having multiples sessions inside DP as chunks working in conjunction with VEP.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Thanks for your replay. I was hoping that won't be a solution because finding these VI's along dozen of tracks is quite troublesome. I was really imaging that everything expect the opened chunk got shut down. That's pretty shame it works that way as you confirm that. :? That need just turned out in a occasion of feature project with many chunks when I had to jump back and forth between cues and ended up with RAM filled becouse of VEP instances hanging in there, so just been closing them manually. But I was hoping to have a workflow like I open new chunk, everything get unloaded - ram gets free up and next one loads. That at least makes sense to me.

That's denying a bit a concept of having multiples sessions inside DP as chunks working in conjunction with VEP.
Not really... I mean, the way it works now has many advantages for studio production work. That's what it was designed mostly for, I suppose.

What you can do, is to make sure ALL your VIs are in the Chunks window. If you have several VIs in one V-Rack, all would get turned on/off with a single click.

Not ideal for your purpose, and I can see why you don't like it much now. There are some heavy-duty DP users here that know everythng about live performance tricks. Hopefully they can give you a better workflow.

But isn't working live like this with RAM-hogs a little risky anyway? I'd probably have nightmares about it... :?
Besides, if you need to revisit a previous song, you'd need to wait for them to reload, correct? Maybe it's time for a sample slave computer farm?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ParanoidAndroid

I'm not working in live. I'm scoring feature film. I have slave computer, but that doesn't change nothing even if I had 10 slave because I have many Omnisphere and Kontakt instances that are in use just in one chunk/cue and when I switch to next one I wish have previous one unloaded before next one loads.
FMiguelez wrote:If you have several VIs in one V-Rack, all would get turned on/off with a single click.
Putting an VEP VI into V-Rack and disabling it doesn't change anything, everything stay loaded in VEP...
FMiguelez wrote:What you can do, is to make sure ALL your VIs are in the Chunks window.
Not sure what you mean by chunks window. You mean VIs put into V-Racks in Chunks window?

Basically I see advantages of keep everything loaded but that's what the VEP preserve function suppose to give an option. But seems it doesn't work as advised under chunks. Or I completely don't understand that.

Thanks for your input on that.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hmmmm. That's strange... If you put your VEPs in a V-Rack in the Chunks Window and disable it via the little on/off button, any unpreserved instances included in the V-Rack should go away.

Otherwise, simply delete manually the VEP instances in the slave or the master computers (in the VEP app you can do it in the secondary window that shows the connections).

All this works for me as expected with DP 9.02 and Yosemite.

You don't have the DP Pre-gen nonsense activated, do you?

Could it be that you have your VEP instances DECOUPLED?

ParanoidAndroid

Funny enough, nothing but deleting VI or V-Racks does the job... VEP instance is not decoupled. I load empty one from DP VEP Plugin windows, so it's unpreserved and coupled. I did test on empty clear DP project and it behaves like that. Haven't heard from VEP support yet and feedback from Motu support is not pointing any clues as they just ask if I'm up to date with everything...
As far as I'm concerned there's no pre-gen mode to choose right now in DP plugins settings.
edit:
There's also one more funny thing I noticed in this behave. I loaded some samples in VEP and watched memory behave in Activity Monitor and when I disable VEP VI in DP everything remain the same but when I enable it back again instantly memory free up and it loads back once again, completely weird.
ParanoidAndroid

It might get fixed soon, seems it's a way MAS plugin was coded:
"It is true that the MAS connection is kept around. This is due to the way MAS is structured, with a separate Effect and Process obejct. We have kept the plugin living in the Effect class, for various reasons at the time. I'll add it to some todo list to look at for a future version.
Meanwhile, the user can use the AU plugin version if he relies heavily on chunks, the AU version should disconnect properly from server when disabling the chunk."