QuickScribe and the numeric keyboard issues

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
remmet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

QuickScribe and the numeric keyboard issues

Post by remmet »

In the category of "Maybe this only happens to me":

I'll be using QuickScribe in a project and have it opened on one monitor and the transport controls on the other monitor. While using the numeric keypad to locate to a certain measure in the sequence or begin playback by hitting Enter, etc., this action unintentionally (and seemingly sporadically) engages QS and creates a huge mess in the notation, requiring multiple Undo's. Is there a way to prohibit the numeric keypad from interacting with QS if you don't want it to?

Thanks.

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
Shooshie

Re: QuickScribe and the numeric keyboard issues

Post by Shooshie »

If you can figure out what key is taking you there, go to the Commands Window and pick any command that does not have a key assignment and try to apply that key. You will get a dialog telling you the command(s) where that key currently is assigned. Go there and delete the command, and that will at least prevent your ending up in QuickScribe unintentionally.

Is there a QS master? I'm forgetting at the moment, as I have never used that master, if it's there. QS has been one of those areas where I only minimally exploit whatever potential is there, though I have created a few scores and a lot of lead sheets or parts there. In each case, they were done quickly, without much attention to detail, just quick and dirty. That was always my opinion of Quickscribe. Anyway, if there is a master for it, you may be able to simply turn off that master and stop all those commands from taking place. I'd look it up for you, but... well... you can do that. But I'll explain this much: "masters" are the grand commands that open up entire fields of commands. For example, you can assign the lowest note on a keyboard to turn on the MIDI Master, which then utilizes lots of commands on your keyboard. Hit one or a few, then turn it back off and continue playing. That's how masters work. They offer you more commands without getting in the way of other commands and/or notes or data. If there is a QS master, it would toggle all of those commands on or off. Again, the Commands Window is your friend. SHIFT-L brings up the window.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
remmet

Re: QuickScribe and the numeric keyboard issues

Post by remmet »

Thanks very much, Shooshie! I hadn't considered the Command window as a potential solution.

I didn't see a QS master, but there were a number of commands related to QS in the general command window (had to scroll way down to find them). I disabled any that could conceivably trigger the problem. But since the problem happens sporadically, and I'm usually working quickly typing various commands unrelated to QS, I don't always notice that the notation has gotten screwed up until I need to look at QS again. So I'll wait and see if editing the Command window had the desired results. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again, Shooshie.

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.