Best Mac OS for DP9?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
peter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best Mac OS for DP9?

Post by peter »

Hi everybody,
since I'm going to build a new setup for DP I just wanted to ask: If you look back from where we are now, what was / is the best OS for running DP9? Does it nessecarily have to be Sierra, or could it make sense to step back some versions? I am also thinking about a Hackintosh, what do you think?
Would be glad to hear your opinions.
Thanks a lot
RodneySauer

Re: Best Mac OS for DP9?

Post by RodneySauer »

I'd go with most current. Works fine for me, and better security, and likely if you run into weird problems the first thing you'll be asked is whether you're running up-you-date software.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I ran DP8 with Mountain Lion right up until Sierra was at .2. Wanting to implement a modern GPU and 4k video monitor, I made the move to Sierra, and it has been solid with (the still maturing) DP 9.13. I find having address book and calendar mobility, from studio Mac to iPhone to laptop, is a nice thing, and the aforementioned security updates offer at least hope of peace of mind in this age of increasingly sophisticate computer hacking.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 9.13 is optimized for El Cap and Sierra as has been posted by a MOTU engineer on these boards. It is more stable and you can run lower buffer settings as I am able to verify.

Many are still running DP 9.02 which seems to run fine from OS 10.8.2 to the present.

If in doubt, run both. You will need to rename one or the second install will overwrite the first. Adding the version number as part of the name is a good way of doing that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

Use the latest version of Sierra...

Since Sierra I have stayed updated to the latest versions of Mac OS and all software. I went 100% ITB 2 months ago and love it. My next step by December is 100% mobile.

In the past (especially with all the cats) being on the cutting edge meant you got cut. Updating and upgrading were brutal adventures. Skipping whole versions was the norm. Once my system was stable updating was always painful. I would not update the OS or the various software, VI's, plugin's and DP until all were verified to be working and playing nice together. Usually at least 6-12 months after release. When the crew at M-Nation was giving a thumbs up I would upgrade.

Since Sierra I have stayed with the latest updates of all my software. The Sierra system and overall reliability has never been better. HCMarkus got me using all SSD drives which made my whole rig is noticeably faster. I am looking forward to getting out of a room and using a mobile and minimalistic system as possible.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
peter

Post by peter »

Thank you so much for all the great input, I think I will decide for Sierra. Althought I must say I'm not exactly happy with Apple sending updates to my computer whenever *they* want. But I guess that's just how it is now...
cheers
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

peter wrote:Thank you so much for all the great input, I think I will decide for Sierra. Althought I must say I'm not exactly happy with Apple sending updates to my computer whenever *they* want. But I guess that's just how it is now...
cheers
You can change that in App Store preferences.
peter

Post by peter »

Believe it or not, I didn't know this. Thanks!