How to decouple regions?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MW1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to decouple regions?

Post by MW1 »

So... if you want to have two different versions of the soundbite, and edit the pitch separately, you can do a little edge edit, or there is another command to create a copy of a soundbite. I can't remember it now.
Merge soundbites will create an independent audio region...
peter

Post by peter »

Alright,
that solved it now. Copying the region will not generate a new soundfile, unless you move the edge. As long as you only copy the region nothing will change, and pitch edit in the Pitch Layer will affect both regions. As soon as you touch the edge, it will list a new soundfiles in the soundfile tab, and now pitch edit will work on separate regions. It's a bit strange I must say, but anyway.

Does anybody know of any shortcut (command) for this, I would like to avoid touching the edge of an already edited region...

What also puzzled me is that I'm using the version that comes with a translation for German. And whoever did the translation put it the other way round. There is a difference between "Edge Edit (a) Copy" and "Copy Edge Edits", the latter of which will give you exactly the opposite result. He who did the translation decided for what I think is the wrong translation. Instead of "Randbearbeitung kopieren" in german (=copy all edge edits) it should be named "Bearbeite Kopie" (=edit a copy) and then be ticked in order to get independent regions. It's a bit of a brain twist, but just in case there is any other german user of DP9 here maybe you could check against this.

Thank you everybody for your help, I guess I will enjoy this forum. And maybe I better install the English version of DP 9 now...
peter

Post by peter »

Merge soundbites will create an independent audio region...
Thanks MW1 - it does!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This is splitting hairs, but just to be clear: when you use MERGE SOUNDBITES, it will create an entirely new audio file, and add data to the project. There are times when you would want to do that. Like if you want to consolidate tracks, when you want another copy of the audio to do a destructive edit to, etc.

I'm almost positive there is another command, that will create a new soundbite (within the same file) that will work like an edge edit copy. It will have its own pitch layer, but share original data from the source file. I feel like we referred to it in a recent thread, maybe in the last 8 months.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
davidh

Post by davidh »

Select your copied soundbite then choose "Duplicate Soundbite" from the Audio Menu.
This creates a completely new additional soundbite within the same audio file, such that any future pitch/fade/edge edits will only affect this 'duplicated' soundbite, leaving the original 'source' soundbite unaffected.
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's the one!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

peter

Post by peter »

Thanks to all of you,
as I said: I think I will enjoy this forum. I actually already do.
peter

Post by peter »

@stubbsonic
Nice music b.t.w.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Peter your English is better than a lot of my US Facebook friends - no kidding!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

peter wrote:@stubbsonic
Nice music b.t.w.
Wow! Thanks for going and checking it out!

peter

Post by peter »

philbrown wrote:Peter your English is better than a lot of my US Facebook friends - no kidding!
Oh, thank you :D I guess that's because I learnt your language by reading music magazines. Back then when I started what we now call homerecording there was not one good magazine in Gemany, so I started reading Americas Mix Magazine, Keyboards and the british SoundonSound. I still remember a special in Mix that featured EMU's Emulator and the works of Alan Silvestri with it. I didn't understand a word, so I started writing down the translation next to the phrase in question, ending up with a page that was almost unreadable after translation. One of the words was "surgical", and the writer took it to describe Emulator's editing possibilities. I kept that special for years but lost it while moving into another town. It also started my interests for film music, but I couldn't afford that f€@#%ng EMU.
Yeah, those were the days...

Cheers
peter

Post by peter »

Ha, see, it's still tricky:

Back then when I started what we now call homerecording...

Unfortunately it wasn't me who started it all. So: Back then when I started with what we now call homerecording...

As I said, still learning