OSC Communication over TCP Problems

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Greg Magee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OSC Communication over TCP Problems

Post by Greg Magee »

To the great cognoscenti on this board

I've been trying to design an OSC control surface for DP and though I can send most commands to DP over either UDP or TCP, I can't seem to receive a response from DP with any 'Get' commands over TCP.

At the moment I'm trying a very simple set of commands from TouchOSC to Osculator and routing through to DP over UDP or TCP depending on the nature of the command. I have tried both choosing a specific available port (say 8200) and leaving the port at 0 in the control surfaces page and relying on Bonjour discovery. Both seem to work fine for OSculator when it comes to simple one-way commands such as Cut, Copy, Split, CloseFrontWindow, etc. However I can't seem to get a response back from DP when I want to interrogate it, for example re: number of tracks in a chunk or to obtain track names.

My understanding is that a connection to a port using TCP allows two way communication. I've tried using Wireshark to examine what tcp ports DP is using and it often lists quite a few other than 8200. However these other addresses don't seem to be contain OSC messages transmitted from DP and OSCulator flags them "red", meaning no connection or message.

I've tried using Max to print out the messages on a given port which are routed from DP to OSCulator then sent on to Max and all I get is the initial message triggered from TouchOSC and parsed correctly in Osculator.

According to the documentation if I send this:
/TrackList/0/Name/Get_Name

I should get this back:
/TrackList/0/Name/Get_Name ,s Track-1

I would love to hear any ideas from some network / OSC savvy folks

Thanks

Greg
mikehalloran

Re: OSC Communication over TCP Problems

Post by mikehalloran »

I spent seven years working for a company whose products were all TCP/IP or UDP.

I don't see how you would do this without a connectivity toolkit that MOTU does not provide (or do they?) or source code.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Greg Magee

Re: OSC Communication over TCP Problems

Post by Greg Magee »

Hi Mike

MOTU provide an OSC Programming Guide which outlines the dictionary of available commands accessible to OSC. However, it doesn't really go far enough in terms of examples. If I could be sure that the incoming / outgoing port was the same for OSC communication then I would continue to hack away, but my suspicion is that they are in fact different. It would be great if someone could do a simple screencast on a two way communication for a simple command such as getting the number of tracks in a chunk or getting specific track names from DP.

As I mentioned above, I am capable of getting one-way communication working, but no commands involving returning information from DP to OSCulator, Max or Lemur.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Greg