Activity Monitor / How to use it ???

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Activity Monitor / How to use it ???

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'm trying to optimize my 6-core Mac Pro, which is running DP and VE Pro server.

When I open Activity Monitor and pick the memory tab, I see that I still have free memory with my DP template and my large VE Pro template.

When I switch to the CPU usage tab in Activity Monitor, I see all sorts of crazy numbers.

The % CPU column shows percentages for DP and VE Pro way over 100 %.

At the same time, the System/User/Idle box on the lower left show around 80 % idle at the same time.

The little bar-graph does it's own thing.

How does this all work?

How do you interpret any of this?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Activity Monitor / How to use it ???

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Don't put large multiple instruments in a single instance of your VI. Smaller instruments can be in one VI, but if you have several instantiations of the VI, each one will address a different core of the machine. Single instances only address a single core. So if you spread the VIs out over 6 instances, you'll use all six cores and the CPU will not get bogged down trying to do the same job with access to a single core.

That doesn't answer your question, but it may solve your problem. It's called multi-threading and DP takes good advantage of it. Rule of thumb: Each large VI instrument should have it's own fader in the mixer (or v-rack).

Thanks to MagicD at MOTU for that tip.

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I'm trying to optimize my 6-core Mac Pro, which is running DP and VE Pro server.... When I switch to the CPU usage tab in Activity Monitor, I see all sorts of crazy numbers. The % CPU column shows percentages for DP and VE Pro way over 100 %.
I believe that, because your CPU has six cores, full utilization of all cores will read as 600%.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Don't put large multiple instruments in a single instance of your VI. Smaller instruments can be in one VI, but if you have several instantiations of the VI, each one will address a different core of the machine. Single instances only address a single core. So if you spread the VIs out over 6 instances, you'll use all six cores and the CPU will not get bogged down trying to do the same job with access to a single core.

That doesn't answer your question, but it may solve your problem. It's called multi-threading and DP takes good advantage of it. Rule of thumb: Each large VI instrument should have it's own fader in the mixer (or v-rack).

Thanks to MagicD at MOTU for that tip.

:unicorn:
and thank YOU for that tip !!!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

HCMarkus wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:I'm trying to optimize my 6-core Mac Pro, which is running DP and VE Pro server.... When I switch to the CPU usage tab in Activity Monitor, I see all sorts of crazy numbers. The % CPU column shows percentages for DP and VE Pro way over 100 %.
I believe that, because your CPU has six cores, full utilization of all cores will read as 600%.
that makes more sense to me now. thanks!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

One optimization is to make sure you use your RAM to the fullest by maximizing pre-load of VI sample sets. One member here questioned whether doing so results in real-world performance gains, and I can only offer my subjective impression of smoother operation. Regardless, the concept sounds good in theory...

Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63621

Have fun!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31