Opening Professional Composer files

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
daerp1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Opening Professional Composer files

Post by daerp1 »

Does anyone know how to open old (and I mean OLD) Professional Composer files? DP4 used to be able to do it, but those old versions of Digital Performer will not run on the newer Mac OS systems.
Digital Performer 10, iMac using OSX 10.14.5
stubbsonic

Re: Opening Professional Composer files

Post by stubbsonic »

If I'm not mistaken, you can still open them with newer DP versions.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you can still open them with newer DP versions.
No. Your confusing those with Performer files.

Deja vu:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60661
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The only way to use those is to export them from Composer as General MIDI files. At least, that's all I remember that worked. It was a long, long time ago. I went through all my files and exported every last one of them before retiring Professional Composer. Then I opened those and created Performer files from them. I can still open those.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

Yes, that would work, IF I hadn't updated my system countless times since Professional Composer worked. I should have done, back then, what you did and save the files in MIDI format. I also missed the opportunity to open the files way back when I used DP 4.1-6. I thought, well let me see if I can find a copy of the old version of DP. I'm sure my serial number is still good. BUT....of course, DP 4.6 won't run because it is no longer supported by MAC OS.

Good thing I think I have a paper copy of the scores in question....somewhere....now where are my glasses.....and my keys?????? Oh well.
midilance

Post by midilance »

How much could you get an old, old Mac for? Pennies. Buy it and convert the Composer files.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

I think that is the only answer.

(Unless some genius crafts a utility to convert the files). :roll:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A G4 with an inexpensive monitor isn't a bad thing to have around. You can set it up to boot into OS 10.3 or 10.4 and OS 9. Although, technically, the last ones can run OS 10.5 like mine, it ain't pretty—I don't recommend it.

I still have the spare I mentioned in that thread from a couple of years ago. I'd give it away to the first person who wants to pick it up from me.

Macintosh Garfen is the PPC owner's friend. http://macintoshgarden.org
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm trying to open his files on my G4. So far, no luck with DP 4.5, 4.6, or 2.7 (in OS 9.2.2).

It's possible his resource fork is missing (?) He did send me zip files, but it is possible the resource fork was missing from a previous backup/copy operation.

Mike, do you think there might be a way to help DP know what to do with these files? There isn't a file extension (.xxx). Are there any tricks to make that work?

I didn't have any problems opening Graeme's files from that other thread.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

Maybe could try to add an extension to the file? I don't know what that would be, though.
Paul
Thanks for trying!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I wonder if that would help. With Graeme's files there wasn't any file extension on any of his files either (but they still opened without issue). I'm guessing Professional Composer just didn't default to adding one.

I downloaded an old application called TypeShuffler which describes itself thusly:

"TypeShuffler is a drag and drop utility that allows you to change the creator code, file type, and file extension of files. It also provides you with a configurable database of creator codes so that you can quickly change files to your preferred codes, types, and extensions."

I'll report back when I get to trying it out.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

[UPDATED:]
I was able to change the File Creator and File Type, and was even able to open one of the files. I changed the File Creater to "MOTU" and the File Type to "MUSi" (I was just copying that info from the working files I got from Graeme).

However, after trying again with other files, something stopped working. I can't figure out what I might have done differently to get that one file to work.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:TypeShuffler ended up working. I changed the File Creater to "MOTU" and the File Type to "MUSi" (I was just copying that info from the working files I got from Graeme).

Then I was able to open the test file in DP 4.61
Nice! Sure beats ResEdit one at a time.

File type suffixes were always ok but normally hidden till OS 9. You still had the option of hiding them like you do now but they suddenly became important (in anticipation of OS X, no doubt) and they were now required.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I celebrated a little too soon.

For some reason, I was only able to get that one file to work. When I went back to try finishing the rest, nothing worked.

(FWIW, TypeShuffler does NOT seem to work in batches. Though that might be possible after I register it.)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Still no luck!

It's weird. When I got the first file to work, I just assumed it would all go easily. Now I can't even get that original first file to open. I don't know what combination of things made the first one work, or what caused it to stop working.

I tried trashing DP's prefs. I also tried reinstalling my UAD-1 software (it was acting a little funny). I tried using a different thumb drive to move files to my non-internet G4. I also tried using ResEdit-- but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing there.

I went back to Graeme's files and WAS able to open those. So at least theoretically, I could try to find out what is different in Graeme's files, but I don't know how to go about that.