Using a different MIDI track for key switches and CC#7

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wtcmusician
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using a different MIDI track for key switches and CC#7

Post by wtcmusician »

Because I often prefer to make MIDI selections for processes like quantizing, change duration, transposing, etc in the tracks overview window, I think making a separate MIDI track for key switch notes is a pretty good solution for avoiding selecting and processing those notes as well. The issue is that since I also like to control VI part and global volumes with the MIDI track volume faders whenever possible, I either have to manually make sure both the performance and key switch MIDI tracks are always set to the same volume or make a mix group for them, which obviously isn't a big deal. This isn't a problem at all but I would hate to be doing this in an ignorant or iinefficient way that doesn't take advantage of DP so I'd appreciate any tips or other workflows. Thanks!
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Using a different MIDI track for key switches and CC#7

Post by terrybritton »

If you are asking whether it is possible, the problem is that DP has no decent assortment of MIDI filters built-in. (Only "Reassign Continuous Controllers".) And it cannot use the PIZ MIDI assortment of MIDI filter plugins either.

You could use an external program to do the filtering, like Bome MIDI Translator. Then you could filter out what you do not want on a specific track, and thus only record what is left.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
wtcmusician
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using a different MIDI track for key switches and CC#7

Post by wtcmusician »

Thanks for the response - hadn't thought about reassigning continuous data OR using any other MIDI filters besides what DP would provide. Even though as you said it isn't particularly helpful here, the MIDI plugins in the link are cool and I need to get my brain thinking about outside solutions like that in general. I am going to check out BOME MIDI Translator.

Most of the time I don't like to actually record the CC7/10 messages because #1 I rarely need to change it throughout a sequence or between chunks, #2 I would rather manually move the fader/pan pot than adjust the values in any editor or have to remember to take an automation snapshot every time I manually move it because a different value was already recorded, #3 I am usually using VI's instead of hardware so the settings are recalled, and #4 I am always changing my mind about pan and volume settings and I want to be able to change it anytime I want doing nothing other than move the mixer control. So what I need is a way to intercept CC7/10 data that is not being played back but that is being transmitted by manually moving the volume fader or pan pot on the mixer. The only solution I can think of is to create a custom console - unless this is possible for something like Bome MIDI Translator to do? Anyway, seems like if your keyswitch notes are an another track the best way to avoid conflicting CC7/10 streams is to mix group the tracks.

I realize many people reading this have been using keyswitches with Kontakt and such for so long that it is second nature and they have templates and everything and it is well past the point of discussing but I'd like to know is if there is some kind of standard/optimal/universally accepted method for doing it in DP, whether it is to use one track or two tracks or some other solution I am not thinking of. Since the two ways I know to do it have what seem like undesirable side-effects that need workarounds, maybe there is a more enlightened method!