WAVES L2 shows overs in DP9.13

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dhelpling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

WAVES L2 shows overs in DP9.13

Post by dhelpling »

Using WAVES Limiters on the Master fader - still showing overs after setting the output to -0.3. L2, 3, L3 Multi etc. Using WAVES build 9.91.0.7. Running OS X 10.12.5. Any advice welcome
Tritonemusic

Re: WAVES L2 shows overs in DP9.13

Post by Tritonemusic »

Perhaps, you set the limiter to Post-Fader?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

dhelpling wrote:Using WAVES Limiters on the Master fader - still showing overs after setting the output to -0.3. L2, 3, L3 Multi etc. Using WAVES build 9.91.0.7. Running OS X 10.12.5. Any advice welcome
Are you seeing them in your bounced master? If so, could it be because the dither needs more than 0.3 dB of headroom?
Or maybe they are ISPs?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

How are you determining you have overs? DP's meter? Before bouncing? After bouncing? More specifics might point to an answer.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

Thanks PhilBrown - I am getting Red overs in the Master Fader meter. Using an L2 with an output of -0.3 has never produced overs in the past.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I was not able to duplicate that behavior although I am having other Waves issues [OK, anti-Waves people, you can stop cheering]. I suggest you contact Waves. They got back with me right away recently. This might be an issue with inter-sample peaks being read differently by DP than Waves but that's just a wild guess.

EDIT - this is long shot, but If you happen to have DSP-Quattro it can read out overs etc. Pg. 77 of the manual. You'd have to bounce the file first, of course.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

Thanks Phil - I'll reach out to WAVES and see if they'll work with me. Typically in this situation, WAVES will say that it is DP9 and MOTU will say it is WAVES. I'll post the answers and solution if there is one. Cheers!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

dhelpling wrote:<<Typically in this situation, WAVES will say that it is DP9 and MOTU will say it is WAVES.>>
My experience as well. Different specifics but same basic situation.

dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

After upgrading to OS X 10.12.6 the issue is gone...

MOTU: "I can’t help you with technical support for a non MOTU plug-in. I can tell you it makes no difference to DP as to which version of OS you are running as long as you are running 10.6.8 or later."

WAVES: "I am not familiar with this behavior as Digital Performer is officially supported with Waves. However it is only supported with version 9.12. Is it possible that this behavior started only with the update to Digital Performer 9.13?"
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dhelpling wrote:After upgrading to OS X 10.12.6 the issue is gone...

MOTU: "I can’t help you with technical support for a non MOTU plug-in. I can tell you it makes no difference to DP as to which version of OS you are running as long as you are running 10.6.8 or later."

WAVES: "I am not familiar with this behavior as Digital Performer is officially supported with Waves. However it is only supported with version 9.12. Is it possible that this behavior started only with the update to Digital Performer 9.13?"
Sweet! Hi David.
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

HCMarkus wrote:

Sweet! Hi David.

Hattersley??? So great to see you here...Cheers brother!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dhelpling wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:

Sweet! Hi David.

Hattersley??? So great to see you here...Cheers brother!
They keep trying to deport me, but my visa is still in effect.