EWQL articulations and scoring

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
arcy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

EWQL articulations and scoring

Post by arcy »

Hi guys!
This thread seems to be discussed a lot of time. But I have not find an answer yet.
I subscribed to East West Composer Cloud. Now, I want to use articulations, but every articulation depends on a separate MIDI channel, so I have a lot of MIDI tracks. Someone suggested me to use transMIDIfire, but not works in macOs Sierra, and development seems to be stopped 4 years ago.
Can I use multiple MIDI channel in a single one like Cubase Expression Map?
If doesn't, can I merge in a single MIDI track all my separate articulations to score it correctly with Quickscribe?
Thanks in advance guys!!
:wink:
KenNickels

Re: EWQL articulations and scoring

Post by KenNickels »

If you use EW Symphonic Orchestra with "KS Master" or (Key switch Master) in the title, these have many articulations and you can switch between them inside your track of a single MIDI channel. The later Hollywood libraries use mostly ala cart instruments that you will need to put on separate tracks. It seems weird to have a DAW that has different MIDI outs on a single track. I don't know much about the Articulations maps in Cubase. I thought it simply substituted a word, like Staccato, for a MIDI key like C2.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
dix

Post by dix »

What Ken said. Keyswitching is how many (most?) of us compose performances with multiple articulations. An alternative is to use the MIDI Editor. That way you can load up all the articulations on separate MIDI tracks and view and edit all the articulation simultaneously....however they'll need to remain on their separate channels, no matter what, using this approach.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
SMS

Keyswitch chasing

Post by SMS »

dix wrote:Keyswitching is how many (most?) of us compose performances with multiple articulations......
This brings up a question for me, as I've just started using keyswitched libraries. How do you handle 'event chasing' for the keyswitches (to make sure the correct articulation is playing when you locate to a random location)?

Thanks

Bill
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

That's a good question. I thought of having a pitch range defined in DP where it chases back to a previous note might work. I left it as a suggestion at MOTU, but nothing came of it. Maybe it's a limitation of the MIDI spec. Notes vs. events, etc. People do point out the limitations of MIDI from time to time and wish for something better. Anyway, this is why people use the multiple tracks, 1 articulation per track method. If not, just be very liberal with your articulation notes. You can't have too many. Try using them with a lot of markers until you find a method that works for you.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
dix

Re: Keyswitch chasing

Post by dix »

SMS wrote:
dix wrote:Keyswitching is how many (most?) of us compose performances with multiple articulations......
This brings up a question for me, as I've just started using keyswitched libraries. How do you handle 'event chasing' for the keyswitches (to make sure the correct articulation is playing when you locate to a random location)?
I might have an answer for this. I extend the duration of keywswitch note for the entire duration of the desired articulation. That way wherever you pop in the correct articulation plays. No event chasing needed. Another tip is to make the velocity of the keyswitch 1. That way you can set quickscribe to ignore it.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
SMS

Post by SMS »

KenNickels wrote:That's a good question. I thought of having a pitch range defined in DP where it chases back to a previous note might work. I left it as a suggestion at MOTU, but nothing came of it. Maybe it's a limitation of the MIDI spec. Notes vs. events, etc. People do point out the limitations of MIDI from time to time and wish for something better. Anyway, this is why people use the multiple tracks, 1 articulation per track method. If not, just be very liberal with your articulation notes. You can't have too many. Try using them with a lot of markers until you find a method that works for you.
I haven't checked this out, but I'm assuming a single long note per articulation region wouldn't work? Does DP play MIDI notes that span the wiper when you hit play?

Oops- answered above- I'll try that
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
dix

Post by dix »

I haven't checked this out, but I'm assuming a single long note per articulation region wouldn't work? Does DP play MIDI notes that span the wiper when you hit play?

Oops- answered above- I'll try that
Yep, unless you've turned off Notes in Event Chasing for some reason this works. I do it all day everyday when working with keyswitches.