Custom patch names for VI's

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Custom patch names for VI's

Post by mesayre »

I think this is a long shot, as I'm pretty sure it can't be done. But thought I'd ask anyway...

Is there any way to get my own custom patch names to show up in DP for a vst VI? Here's what I'm looking for:

I use a bunch of Kontakt instruments, which I currently use via keyswitch. It would be nice if I could put them in Kontakt banks and access via program change, because then I wouldn't have to worry about the lack of keyswitch chasing. But then I'd want to label them so I know which is which, and so that they show up in the sequence editor.

But my searching so far reveals that you can only edit mininam for hardware units or MAS plugins, and there's no way to do it for VST. Is that right? Or is there some secret way to do this?

Thanks,
Mike
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
dbawmp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Custom patch names for VI's

Post by dbawmp »

I think I understand what you are trying to do but I have to say it's a little confusing ☺ Maybe you can achieve this with a device group pointed at the kontakt instrument, although I have no idea how to edit the patch list anyway. My thinking is that by using a device group you may be able to have that MIDI track treated more like it was going to hardware. I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about either ☺ I'm no help! Maybe someone else will chime in

BTW, doesn't "event chasing" pickup key-switches?
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, no, event chasing doesn't chase keyswitches, unless you make the keyswitch the full length of the passage - some people do that, but it makes things messy to me.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
frankf

Post by frankf »

dbawmp wrote:
BTW, doesn't "event chasing" pickup key-switches?
No. I Create Similar Track with suffix KS and put a track long KS note there there so DP will chase. Seeing these long notes in SE or MIDI windows helps orient me. The ability to not see them in Quickscribe is a relief! I then group these KS tracks together with Hide and Play options checked. Make them the same color if it suits you for easy recognition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What Frank said.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|