Question about using tempo ramps when scoring to picture.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LGK_Dude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question about using tempo ramps when scoring to picture.

Post by LGK_Dude »

I have a cue where I need to hit a cut at bar 13, and right now its late so I need to speed it up. Using scale tempo from bar -1 - 13 its just increasing the tempo from 119 to 121.20 so thats good and it works. However instead of making the whole intro the new tempo I'd like to keep bars -1 - 4 at 119, then ramp the tempo faster from bar 4-6, and let bar 6 be whatever tempo is necessary for the hit. How would I go about doing this?
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
FMiguelez

Re: Question about using tempo ramps when scoring to picture

Post by FMiguelez »

LGK_Dude wrote: How would I go about doing this?[/size]
Do you mean conceptually or technically doing it in DP?

You can draw the ramps manually in the Conductor Track using a wealth of tools and techniques...

You can also try starting the CT tempo changes after the intro and compensate by making the rest a little faster.

There's a dialog box that lets you input advanced parameters in such a way that DP will do whatever it needs to the tempo to fit it in a certain limit. I'm not at the studio to check, but it's one of the commands for tempo manipulation, probably the one you've been using, so notice that key parameters change and you get different options depending on your choices.

You may also want to check out the Find Tempo command. It can be very useful, as you can test different tempi with different scenarios using markers (which also appear in useful ways in QS).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
frankf

Post by frankf »

Yes, learn to love Find Tempo! It borrows the main functions of Rick Johnson's "Cue" a great app from long ago and far away. Instead of changing tempi, you might want to use Find Tempo to re-meter your cue and then write you cue "through" the meter changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

"Find Tempo" works well, or there's also the "Adjust Beats" dialog, which gives you lots of options for how to handle the adjustment.

Do it without "Preserve realtime performance", and the music itself will change tempo. With that option selected, only the tempo map will move.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB