The Persistence of Memory, or The Idiot Explained

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

Well, as some of you know, I left DP, MOTUNation, and music in general last August or so, with a few returns up to November, when I said "stop this, Shooshie, cold turkey!" And I did. The idea was to give myself some time away from what I've done nearly every day for the past 3 decades with DP, and another two decades as a concert musician or student.

I want to talk about how it feels to come back to DP after a long time away from it. Getting back into DP has been a mixed bag. Why? Memory. Or lack of it. There are administrative actions I rarely did before, because I always used an older file as the basis for a new file. It was already set up; I only had to change the track names and delete the data. (or copy sequence format)

So I was setting up an instrument, got ready to play, and... nada. Messed around a little, and played... zilch. Nothing was coming through. After 30 minutes of searching for the answer, I checked MIDI Patch Thru. It was off. I had no reason to believe it would be off; I always left it on by preference, so I never even checked it. So, that was fixed. But what a frustration. How small you feel when you think you know a lot, but can't solve the most basic problem!

Then there was the Tracks Overview rewind. It wouldn't. Rewind, that is. I mean, the counter would go back. The other windows followed the counter, but the Tracks window stayed put. Wouldn't move. Again, my "smarter self" was telling me it couldn't be anything *I* was doing; it had to be a bug. After days of this I thought, maybe I'd better check my preference. Sure enough, the Tracks Window was unchecked in the "follow cursor" preference. DUH! It was me all along. Dumb and dumber.

I could tell you more, but those were the worst two. Some of the other things involve remembering where things USED to be, but they aren't there anymore. Colors, for example. I had to change the menu in all my QuicKeys routines that involve changing colors, because MOTU moved the Colors menu to the View menu. And more. The feeling was one of inferiority. On the one hand was my reputation as one who knows his way around DP. It seemed ready to kick my ass if I didn't get it right. Then there was the current version of myself, returning after a year to find that if you don't use it every day, there are things you just forget. Or don't know about (things they've changed, for example).

One thing it has reiterated to me is that when someone comes here for help, do not assume anything. Give them the full information without judgment. In addition to new users, there are many of us my age or older who are starting to experience forgetfulness in our daily lives. It's very easy to forget the obvious. Be kind! Other than that, using DP has been amazing once again. It's almost in disbelief that I sit there and manipulate audio and MIDI to make a great track of music. Unbelievable. Most of this was impossible 20 years ago, no matter how much money you had, and I'm always blown away by it.

That's all I really came to say; be kind, be thorough, be charitable. Of course, most of you are like that without any prodding from me. I've seen some attitude in other places, though. People who do not know what you know are not morons. They just need to be reminded or told for the first time. In the end we are all dumb or dumber when our habitual ways take leave of us. It's easy to Get Smart again. Or would you believe... return to par? I'm the breathing evidence. I think... let me check my pulse. Yeah, I'm still good.

And so is DP.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Re: The Persistence of Memory, or The Idiot Explained

Post by cuttime »

Welcome back, and please don't make yourself scarce, Shooshie!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie!

Welcome back! Bienvenido de regreso!

We won't allow you to leave again :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It always feels like 'coming home' to see you post, Shooshie. I've experienced similar issues with Finale.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It's great to hear from you again, Shooshie. And thanks for the very insightful words. I can relate to much of what you're saying having taken some time away. Returning to DP after a hiatus can be humbling. As with any complex app, you can forget a lot if you don't use it every day. I've found myself moving at a slow pace simply because I've forgotten what once were routine key commands I never even had to think about before.

Most of all, wonderful to see you around here again! Please stay a while! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I forgot why I decided to post a reply. :lol:

i.e. I can totally relate to your words Shooshie!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Welcome back.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Welcome back fellow old guy.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks, folks. You guys really know how to welcome someone back.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I can certainly relate, Shooshi!

Thank goodness I made so many videos a couple years ago on tech I've become entirely rusty with due to the "use it or lose it" syndrome. I now watch my own videos for a refresher course!

Good to see you posting, always.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

terrybritton wrote:I can certainly relate, Shooshi!

Thank goodness I made so many videos a couple years ago on tech I've become entirely rusty with due to the "use it or lose it" syndrome. I now watch my own videos for a refresher course!

Good to see you posting, always.

Terry
Haha! Why do you think I made the DP Tips Sheet? :lol: Actually, that's not why I made it, but I sure use it. And the videos I've made, not to mention copious notes.

Shoosh
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thinking further on Terry's post, the thing that probably keeps me going more than anything are my "Cheat Sheets." I post them periodically in case anyone wants to use them. Of course, you can always make your own.

So... for the heck of it, here are some:

COLORS
Some of my cheat sheets are too personalized to be of any use to anyone else, but this one just might be. I may be the odd bird when it comes to using colors, but I change track colors a lot. It's a matter of contrast and making certain tracks stand out or fade into the rest. Why? Speed and navigation. It's just faster for me to grab the controls of tracks that I can quickly spot through color. I find this particularly useful in the Sequence Editor and Mixing Board, though also useful in the Tracks Window. What I did was set up a QuicKeys command for each color in DP. Then I put at least some of them on a card with their commands. I can quickly see what color set would be useful, then hit the command for that color. Because of the way I set up the triggers, with a double-trigger using the Keypad for running through the colors quickly, it's possible to use a lot of keyboard commands without taking commands away from other functions. The double-trigger ability gives you hundreds of commands at your disposal. So, you could either copy my commands and use the same cheat-sheet, or you could use my graphics and make your own. I'll post the card and the graphics I used to make it.

QuicKeysColorsCommands Cheat-Sheet files (zipped folder with files)

Print these (or your own) to fit a 4x6 "picture" and put them in some kind of stand like these:
I've been posting that picture for 10 years!

I hope some of this is useful. It sure helps me. I've got the toolbar commands memorized, but I have to look some of them up again when returning to them for the first time after a period of absence. The cheat sheet helps.

Shooshie
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

I love your post and have always appreciated you being here. I'm working through my own age onslaught forgetfulness with DP/ recording and writing in general, and with playing out live (especially noticeable with some whippersnappers 20 yrs my junior). So thanks for sharing your experience (and the color scheme card!). I see you on Facebook a tad as well. Hope you and all here have a great day. Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Nice to see ya again, Shoosh, here on the forum!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for that post, Shooshie.

First of all, many of us can relate to how much easier it was to learn new software/hardware while retaining the "map" of older ones. Now it is a but more work to keep those plates spinning (either a juggling or hard drive metaphor).

With the occasional system problems we encounter, we sometimes have to reset our preferences and/or go back and find our exported keybindings and update them. And each time, I think, I should make a hard-copy of a preferences/settings checklist. But really, I'd need to do that system-wide.

But when the going gets tough, the tough open up the preferences panel, and start randomly opening menus & submenus. Ok, then there's the f'n manual.

On your point about kindness and generosity in helping fellow DP users, I couldn't agree more. And have benefitted many times from the fellow members of this forum who have gotten me unstuck.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com