How to "Create, edit and master" using Ivory 2 with DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to "Create, edit and master" using Ivory 2 with DP9

Post by FMiguelez »

John Froome wrote: The interesting point (for me) is that Bartok really was, along with Ravel, one of the top virtuosos of all times in the writing thing, which means that you "just" (it's the most difficult part actually) need to play it as it's written, with no rendition added ; that's precisely the type of tasks at which computers are out of match.

I completely disagree.
A piece of music, even by the great masters, will sound like cacophonic crap if not played musically.
You can easily test this yourself. Sequence (or download a MIDI sequence of) your favourite orchestral piece, and let it play just like that, a "perfect" computer written rendition, with no expression, no dynamics, no emotion, etc...

How do you like the results?

In lieu of real musicians, we studio composers MUST inject all that humanity artificially in the form of, first of all, nice, credible performances. Also in the form of dynamics, phrasing, accents, articulations, emotional shapes, etc. And we have the tools to (re)create all that artificially, thanks to technology> We do all this music editing all the time!

Music without those properties is not music; it's just a bunch of sounds!

So it is your job, as a composer, to inject that dosis of "illusion of reality" into your productions if you want your music to transmit anything musical and meaningful, let alone credible...
John Froome wrote: Still, I don't really get where in the process you describe is the Ivory part taking place..?
What do you mean? You obviously will use it from beginning to end. You will marry this instrument for the duration of this project, obviously.

If it's a solo piano piece, you will deal with your instrument of choice all the time.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to "Create, edit and master" using Ivory 2 with DP9

Post by Shooshie »

'Nando, if you listen to the file he posted originally, it's a you-tube vid of some Bartok pieces on piano, sounding as if they were sequenced without regard to phrasing. I didn't say anything, but since you just did, I support what you said 100%. Bartok, like any other composer, must be played with musicianship and sensitivity.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|