Roland Cloud D-50 synth now available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Roland Cloud D-50 synth now available

Post by David Polich »

For those of you (well, maybe all two of you) that have been wondering when Roland
Cloud would release the D-50 virtual synth...wait no more, it's available now. I've checked it out -
it's awesome, exactly like I remember my old D-50 which I had for years. The four-way joystick
that rotates between the partials even works - although you need a Roland or Korg controller with a joystick to move left to right).

Roland Cloud has changed the way downloads work on their site now. You have to first download and install the Roland Cloud Manager app, then launch that, and it will automatically update your
existing Roland Cloud synths (I have six of them), and there is a separate menu for new synths which are available that you have not yet downloaded. That is where you will find the D-50 available for install.

Once you install everything, open DP, select Roland Cloud from the instrument menu and then select which synth you want to load from the drop-down sub menu. If you are loading it for the first time, you will need to authorize it - a dialog box opens up in the upper left hand area of DP's
T.O. window, enter your email and password and that's it. You only have to do this once, no matter how many other Roland synths you choose to load.

As long as you are connected to the internet, your Roland synths will "phone home" via the Cloud Manager to see if they are authorized whenever you launch DP.

Oh, and for those of you who don't know - Roland Cloud is a subscription service, $19.95 monthly. For that you get every synth they offer and its up to ten now, and includes not only the D-50, but the Jupiter-8, System-8, System-1, System 100, SH-101, Juno-106, SH-2, and ProMars, as well as the original SoundCanvas (not my favorite, but it does have those classic sounds) and collections of sampled sounds from various other Roland 80's and 90's synthesizers.
The Jupiter-8 alone sounds better than any other Jupiter-8 emulation available.

I did not post this to start another discussion about the pros and cons of subscription services,
so if you have that axe to grind, maybe the "Off-Topic" section is a better place to start another thread about it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Gravity Jim

Re: Roland Cloud D-50 synth now available

Post by Gravity Jim »

I really love old Roland synths... the only ones from their era that (to my ear and mind) still sound fresh and usuable. In fact, the only hardware synth I still have in my rack is a Super JV-1080, loaded with 4 cards, that I still use frequently.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check this out right away.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Thanks, David. I've been subscribing since they opened it up and am really impressed with the items I've installed. Definitely going for this D-50! :D

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Sounds like they might be piggy-backing atop Gobbler, which is now used at least by Softube and Slate Digital.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Quick comment: The D-50 is magnificent! I cannot stop playing it - such nice and engaging sounds.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Update - used the D-50 plugin for the first time in a project today - I needed something that sounded
grainy/string-ish/pad-ish/guitarish, and the D-50 fit the bill perfectly. I'd forgotten how unique this
synth sounded, and how much I actually missed it. Roland Cloud knocked it out of the park with this
recreation of the D-50...despite complaints over on Gearslutz from people that think it is "thin" and "lacks low end". I had to cut low end from 200hz down to avoid swamping the electric bass in the track...no this synth does not lack low end, and it s not thin. It's spot-on.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com