Changing lengths of soundbites upon import

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
gaucho2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Changing lengths of soundbites upon import

Post by gaucho2 »

When importing noninterleaved aifs from another project (by dragging in the "left" file) I often (not always) get two stereo files imported of differing lengths.

My hunch was that one was the original sound file and the other was a soundbite subset of that. But it seems to be more mysterious than this. If I trim the file in the audio editor (destructive), and then import it into a new project, the resulting audio file still imports into the new project as a few seconds longer.

Any ideas?
mikehalloran

Re: Changing lengths of soundbites upon import

Post by mikehalloran »

Need more info. What kind of sound files?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gaucho2

Post by gaucho2 »

Thank you, mikel. I'm sorry I was not more specific.
These are files that are found in the audio files folder of a DP project. They are not exported files. (If I go through the export process I don't have this issue).

what I do sometimes when moving files between projects, is to open the audio files folder and simply drag in the noninterleaved AIF Digital performer native audio file into a new project, avoiding any additional processing. Theoretically, this should be the "purest" way to do it.

I'm curious as to why it often will create two separate (stereo) imported files of differing length. ( this is not from mistakenly also dragging the right channel version. I only drag in the left.)

I use DP8.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Mike knows much better than I, but I "think" that dragging the one audio file in also drags the "parent" or the "children" from previous edits even though only the one file was pulled in.

I've personally experienced this, as well.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

buzzsmith wrote:Mike knows much better than I, but I "think" that dragging the one audio file in also drags the "parent" or the "children" from previous edits even though only the one file was pulled in.

I've personally experienced this, as well...
Yep. If you want the track without all the 'baggage' as it were, export it without conversion to another file type. This creates a copy. Otherwise, you're working with whatever you've done to the DP file in the new project.

I think you need to learn about Chunks. Plenty of threads and tutorials on this.
...what I do sometimes when moving files between projects, is to open the audio files folder and simply drag in the noninterleaved AIF Digital performer native audio file into a new project, avoiding any additional processing. Theoretically, this should be the "purest" way to do it.
Your theory is flawed. If you want the original audio file, use the one you originally imported into the first project.

You can also plan ahead. I do this with restoration and remix projects. I take the raw audio, clean it up using RX and/or DP till I get it as I like. Then I export those cleaned up but otherwise unedited files and store them in a folder—those are the files I use and edit in whatever forms the project will take.

If I need the original, raw files, they're always available to me. They are always kept in a folder I call Raw Audio so I'm never confused. This comes in especially handy recently when revisiting project with tools that weren't available the last time. Obviously, it saves your butt if you make an unwise decision involving destructive editing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gaucho2

Post by gaucho2 »

Thank you for the feedback.
I did go ahead and properly export the mixes to avoid issues.

It was my compulsive tendency to avoid any further processing and possible accidental dithering or any other unforeseen byproduct of the export process, that led me to try this. I know one can set export options. I was in fear of the unknown.

I just went to the extreme of "purity" thinking I'd just drag the mix directly out of the audio folder.

;)