Proverb presets?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
RodneySauer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Proverb presets?

Post by RodneySauer »

I've always been a bit frustrated by the presets in the Proverb plugin: there are only five, and their names reflect very specific tasks like "Bass Guitar Reverb" or "Chunk Slapback," and not a single preset for just basically adding some spaciousness to an acoustic music track, which must be a pretty common task.

(I'm not talking about the number of convolution reverbs, of which Proverb provides many. I'm thinking of overall presets for the plugin, designed for certain uses by people who have some idea of what they're doing, ideally the programmers who designed the plugin in the first place.)

I think I've gotten pretty good results, but I don't really understand the Dynamic Mix section and equalizers well, and it would be lovely to have some presets that are designed for a few common tasks like a chamber ensemble, jazz quartet, etc.

I've failed to find any collection of Presets for Proverb here or on the MOTU site, or on the internet at large. Interestingly, there's a review of Proverb at eMusician from 2010 that says "MOTU has done an excellent job with all three of these plug-ins but could add to the “wow” factor by including more presets. (Note: According to MOTU, more presets will be added in a forthcoming maintenance update.)"

It's not clear that those additional presets were ever added, though.

Thanks for any ideas...
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
billf

Re: Proverb presets?

Post by billf »

You can use third party impulse responses. There is a good list of free IR sites listed here https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/free ... -responses
Drag & drop to add your own spaces

Simply drag and drop any standard audio file into ProVerb's waveform display to add your own presets. On the web, there are many acoustic spaces for you to choose from, in the form of "impulse response" (IR) audio files that you can download, either for purchase or for free. ProVerb lets you import multiple IRs — even entire IR libraries — in a single drag and drop operation.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

Yes, it's not the convolution IRs that I have issues with: there are plenty of them, and they seem just fine.

(Although the intentionally whimsical titles are not very useful: what is the practical difference between the "breakfast" "lunch" and "dinner" varieties of "Waffle Chapel"?)

What I'd like is some effect presets with a selected convolution IR in addition to useful settings of length, width, gain, predelay, damping, dynamic compression, etc. for different uses. I'd modify them from there as needed, but it would be nice to have more places to start from.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This topic came up in a slightly different context (I think it was related to the Dynamic EQ).

The tricky thing is that one could say, "Here is a great preset for a mix, or for vocals, or for acoustic guitar..." etc, but that may be pretty dubious way to go about working. If you trust the preset's implied usage, you might choose something that is inappropriate for your situation.

A preset should be thought of as a starting point. If you are very lucky, the preset will work fine as is, but as any mix engineer would say, "trust your ears." Some presets could be useful for people who want or need to work quickly in a kind of turn-key way. I also think that with reverb (more than dynamic EQ), you could have some presets that would work well for many cases.

In that other thread, we even dabbled with the idea of an online preset library where power users could upload their favorite settings into an organized database of presets categorized by plug-in, track type, genre, and key-words. What could be cool is that the entire library probably wouldn't take much memory, so the entire thing could just be downloaded along with a descriptive spreadsheet. And every so often it could be updated with new entries, revisions, and easier documentation. Wouldn't occupy much space- especially if we keep things like IR's and samples out of it (or at least separate).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

FYI, speaking of IRs, here's a very cool library, Bricasti M7 from Samplicity.
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
solex

Post by solex »

RodneySauer wrote: What I'd like is some effect presets with a selected convolution IR in addition to useful settings of length, width, gain, predelay, damping, dynamic compression, etc. for different uses. I'd modify them from there as needed, but it would be nice to have more places to start from.
Hey Rodney
I get what you mean, plus in addition I think Reverb is one of the biggest and hardest topics in mixing, especially since one has sooo many options.
The "catch" with the IR's is, that they already are a preset in a way, since, depending on the room, the IR has different lengths, widths, predelay, damping and frequency response kind of imprinted already.
Therefore it's kinda hard to have presets for the settings of the ProVerb Plugin, it doesn't know, what IR you are choosing.

So instead what you could try is, go through the IR's until you find one that fits the best for your needs, and then do small adjustments. What I usually do is, do a high-shelf or lowpass starting somewhere around 2-3 kHz and the opposite between 80 and 300, depending on the instrument.
Dynamic Compression I stopped using. Instead I use a compressor after the reverb.
macnylonguitar
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Proverb presets?, Bricasti IR's 96 KHz

Post by macnylonguitar »

Question,

Does someone know where to find the 96 Khz (or higher) of these Bricasti IRs, do they exist?

If so where?, If not, how are MOTU Proverb users using these Bricasti IRs?... Very interested in these for nylon / "classical" guitar reverbs.

thx in advance, john