Changing MIDI track creates Huge stutters

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
doodles
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Changing MIDI track creates Huge stutters

Post by doodles »

i've moved to 9.13 recently, and it has many pros and cons.

But one of the big issues I"m having, which I've never had before, is that when changing between MIDI tracks - record-enabling a different one - in the middle of playing, DP grinds to a shuddering halt. Clicks/pops, etc, for about 20 seconds, until it recovers and I can then start playing again. It doesn't matter that DP isn't recording, I'm just trying out different sounds on a template. (e.g. moving the select MIDI track from Kontakt MIDI 1 (e.g. piano) to trilian MIDI 1 (bass). This never used to happen in previous versions.

Is there something really basic that I'm missing, or has something been changed in this version for how this works?

Also having big issues with the audio system crashing on me randomly, but have funny feeling that's something to do with memory/processor, as it's a big template.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
bdr

Re: Changing MIDI track creates Huge stutters

Post by bdr »

Aye laddie, I've found something similar. I've been trying to figure out exactly how pre-rendering works, and it seems that if you record enable something it switches from pre-rendering mode to real time mode, with accompanying glitches. That might be it for you.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
HCMarkus

Re: Changing MIDI track creates Huge stutters

Post by HCMarkus »

bdr wrote:Aye laddie, I've found something similar. I've been trying to figure out exactly how pre-rendering works, and it seems that if you record enable something it switches from pre-rendering mode to real time mode, with accompanying glitches. That might be it for you.
My feeling as well.

As you note Doodles, 9.13 has its pros and its cons. In a nutshell, capacity to handle heavier projects thanks to pre-rendering, while sacrificing smoothness as work is being done thanks to pre-rendering.

For me, the added virtual horsepower 9.13 adds to my rig outweighs the occasionally annoying glitches it induces.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31