Sending Data from DP when chunk is selected

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
fmullermotu
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sending Data from DP when chunk is selected

Post by fmullermotu »

I have an application of DP that I can’t figure out how to do. I’ve searched around in the manual, asked various folks, can’t come up with an answer. I’m guessing I’m missing the obvious somewhere and hope someone could help.

Live application of DP. I use it to host all my VI’s, a few hardware synths and a DMX controller plug-in for lights.

I set up a chunk for each song and arrange them based on the set list for the night.
Each chunk has multiple tracks and when one of them is a hardware synth, DP sends the patch changes I need as soon as I select the chunk.
The DMX plug (DMXis) allows selection of banks & preset for lighting cues based on MIDI notes sent on ch 15 or 16. It will also respond to CC 32 messages for Bank select.
I would like to be able to issue the command to DMXis to select the bank/patch as soon as I select the chunk, just like the hardware synths.

I can’t figure out how to get DP to issue that data as soon as the chunk is selected. I have tried inserting the CC data at the very first tick in the first measure, but it is not sent initially. I can use the MIDI note approach, but have the same issue. The notes don’t get sent until I PLAY the chunk. I have built a workaround where I record the bank/preset MIDI notes on the track followed by a STOP command I send back to DP. So I select the chunk, the hardware patch selections are issued immediately, I hit play, the MIDI notes for bank and preset “play” and are received by DMXis, and then DP stops. Kind of klugey.

Ideally I would like to be able to have a CC message sent immediately, or have the chunk start immediately. I tried chain chunks but it just flys through my whole set list.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Fred
magicd

Re: Sending Data from DP when chunk is selected

Post by magicd »

For anyone reading this thread I got it going for the poster. DP sends any Default Patch assignments when a new Chunk is enabled. I made a custom patch list that sends out CC#32 messages and all is well.

Dave
fmullermotu

Post by fmullermotu »

Dave did a great job providing a solution for this. Any of you who may be using the DMXis plug in with DP to change light cues will want to consider using this. Makes selecting banks/presets much easier than sending note/note off or CC32 messages!

Thanks Dave!!!

Fred
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

magicd wrote:For anyone reading this thread I got it going for the poster. DP sends any Default Patch assignments when a new Chunk is enabled. I made a custom patch list that sends out CC#32 messages and all is well. Dave
Great, I will give a try. Thanx!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...