Mac CPU upgrade - more cores or higher clock speed?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JZilla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac CPU upgrade - more cores or higher clock speed?

Post by JZilla »

Hey folks. I've got a 2013 Mac Pro 6,1 Quad 3.7 GHz master computer, and I'm finding it to not be quite up to the task these days so I'm going to upgrade the CPU.

I mostly do hybrid orchestral film scoring, so i've got a massive amount of VIs, mostly Kontakt inside of VE Pro on a slave PC with some Kontakt and miscellaneous other synths (Omnisphere/Trillian, Zebra, etc.) on the Mac. I do lots of stems, so I'm using multiple reverbs and a fair amount of processing while tracking.

What's the current thinking these days when looking at a new CPU, is it better to go for a 12-core 2.2 GHz E5-2692 v2, or something like an 8-core 3.3 GHz E5-2667 v2 QF67? I've found them for comparable prices, so it really comes down to the more cores/faster clock speed argument. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
2019 MacPro, 10.15.5, 16 core 3.2 GHz, 384 GB RAM
DP 10.11
Kontakt 6.2.2, Spectrasonics, u-he, Arturia, NI Komplete 11, VE Pro
UAD, Waves, Soundtoys, Slate, FabFilter
HCMarkus

Re: Mac CPU upgrade - more cores or higher clock speed?

Post by HCMarkus »

Do this simple math:

Number of Cores
x
Clock Speed

Compare the answers. All else equal, for audio work (which scales across multiple cores very well), go with the CPU that yields the bigger number.

In this case, looks like a wash! Perhaps you should reference Geekbench scores...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote:Do this simple math:

Number of Cores
x
Clock Speed

Compare the answers. All else equal, for audio work (which scales across multiple cores very well), go with the CPU that yields the bigger number.

In this case, looks like a wash! Perhaps you should reference Geekbench scores...
Geekbench is 100% the answer here, mostly the newer chip if the chip in question is near the fastest offered, will be faster even if the clock speed would say otherwise. In DAW logic, in theory anyway, more cores equals more tracks, in practice more cores can mean inefficient use of resources. It's why the fastest for single core use machine Apple makes is an iMac, not a Mac Pro, faster single CPU etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I have a late 2010 Mac Pro that still does not need to be replaced. I have never brought it to it's knees with anything DP. My current template is comprised of around 40 VIs, 24 audio tracks with plugins, 40 more audio tracks without plugins, and around 120 MIDI tracks. When I was doing trailer music last, I had over 300 MIDI tracks, and VE Pro over two slave machines.

How can I possibly do this with a 7 year old machine? Because it rocks 12 cores, that's why. I'm a believer. Yes, I have SSDs (limited to 3Mbps), and I have a lot of RAM. But it's the 12 cores that make the difference.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Hey Killahurts, thanks for the reply. I guess my main reason for asking is that there seems to be a significant difference in what's available for clock speed in a 12-core vs an 8-core (in this case, 2.2 GHz for the 12 vs 3.3 GHz for the 8), and so I'm wondering if a slower 12-core outperforms a faster 8-core.
DP 10.11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This topic was posted twice. I have merged both topics.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Thanks James, it was an accidental double post.
DP 10.11
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If using a VI host like Kontakt, you want more cores. Each instance will use its own core up to the maximum. Many posts and threads on this subject.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

JZilla wrote:Hey Killahurts, thanks for the reply. I guess my main reason for asking is that there seems to be a significant difference in what's available for clock speed in a 12-core vs an 8-core (in this case, 2.2 GHz for the 12 vs 3.3 GHz for the 8), and so I'm wondering if a slower 12-core outperforms a faster 8-core.
Well, (using HC Marcus's formula) 12 x 2.2 = 26.4 8 x 3.3 = 26.4

So as Mike said, all things being equal, more cores are better.. especially for lots of Kontakt.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As posted a while ago by MagicD...
Large and heavily scripted VI instruments should be in their own instance of the VI, not shared as multiple tracks in the VI. For every such VI instantiation there should be a separate fader in the mixer. This allows DP to access a separate core for each. Smaller instruments and patches can be in a single instance, but larger ones definitely want their own VI instantiation.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

Killahurts wrote:I have a late 2010 Mac Pro that still does not need to be replaced. I have never brought it to it's knees with anything DP. My current template is comprised of around 40 VIs, 24 audio tracks with plugins, 40 more audio tracks without plugins, and around 120 MIDI tracks. When I was doing trailer music last, I had over 300 MIDI tracks, and VE Pro over two slave machines.

How can I possibly do this with a 7 year old machine? Because it rocks 12 cores, that's why. I'm a believer. Yes, I have SSDs (limited to 3Mbps), and I have a lot of RAM. But it's the 12 cores that make the difference.

I have the same machine and am often running against the wall in DP, all versions. I probably run more audio tracks and a ton of plug-ins but it seems that it's the auxes that slow down my system. And by that I mean routing all tracks to an aux, and then sending that aux track to another aux to be recorded. I set the buffer to the max in order to complete the projects and even then DP can be painfully slow, especially when the record target track is armed.
Rig A: DP 9.13/OS 10.12.4/2012 2x6core@2.4GHz /828x.
Rig B: DP 8.07/OS 10.8.5/2010 2x6core@2.93GHz/ProTools HD Native/AD16X
Plug-ins: NI, Spectrasonics, Play, Waves 9, Soundtoys, Eventide, McDSP,
FabFilter, Izotope, Plugin Alliance, etc...
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Thanks for all the answers folks.

I'm also thinking that my heavy aux use might be a problem, so figuring out a new method of template management is probably also in the cards.
DP 10.11
doodles

Post by doodles »

ccrane wrote:

I have the same machine and am often running against the wall in DP, all versions. I probably run more audio tracks and a ton of plug-ins but it seems that it's the auxes that slow down my system. And by that I mean routing all tracks to an aux, and then sending that aux track to another aux to be recorded. I set the buffer to the max in order to complete the projects and even then DP can be painfully slow, especially when the record target track is armed.
Yep, that's the issue I've just been running into. It's the auxes into stereos. Cut them down, the machine becomes responsive again.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

I don't have a Trash Can, but yesterday I just upgraded my 2009 Mac Pro from a 8-Core 2.26 Ghz to a 12-Core 2.93 Ghz machine. As far as CPU tasks are concerned, this new one smokes the old one. I am doing similar work to you as well.

I have DP connected to VE Pro running anywhere from 6 to 12 instances of Kontakt. Having 4 extra cores seems to have been the biggest benefit in what I can see through iStat Pro (though I'm sure the clock speed increase also doesn't hurt). I can also re-assign thread usage in VE Pro (right now I have it set to two-threads per instance, as that seems to have the best performance. Even then, I'm barely stressing the CPU's.

As my other thread talks about, this is probably the biggest improvement I could have made. I've owned this computer for 8 years and haven't done much in the past other than adding more RAM and SSD's. The CPU upgrade was one of the biggest changes I've seen in the overall performance of the computer.
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

JZilla wrote:I'm also thinking that my heavy aux use might be a problem, so figuring out a new method of template management is probably also in the cards.
In case it's applicable to you; I used to have a template where I'd pre-loaded 3-5 commonly-used plug-ins on each track, but in bypass mode, so they'd be available quickly when I needed them. I was shocked at the load an empty project had on my (pretty robust) machine. MagicD explained that plug-ins are active in the system, even when bypassed (which is so you can click them in and out without a glitch or delay). Needless to say, I lightened up on the plugs in my base template significantly after that, which had an immediate effect.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net