What's a great microphone to record video-tutorials?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What's a great microphone to record video-tutorials?

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:Not really. It's not the right pick up pattern and is a bit too fussy about proximity. The mod improves the flatness, but doesn't address the other features.
No doubt one of the reasons that Shure came up with the SM7. Same capsule and transformer but with a number of filters to shape the response plus that big foam surround. Oh yea, and the much higher price—can't forget about that. The Cloudlifter CL-Z lets me play with the input impedance and the proximity effect does change when you do.

Until I discovered the AKG, my go-to mic for live performance was an SM57 surrounded by a thick foam pop filter. The extra 3/8" foam lessened the proximity effect (I worked close). Overall, I thought it sounded good on my bass voice. Still do but the AKG D5/D870 sounds worlds better. Had a quartet of 57s not gone missing after a gig, the AKGs would have been unknown to me.

I have never liked the way I sound through an SM58. The only reason I own it is because a band I gig with from time to time asked me to buy one to match the PA. Bleah!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I also just think that a large-diaphram condenser just seems like a better all-around choice for recording where amplification is not involved. My AT4033 is a workhorse for that kind of stuff.

The OM-2 has been pretty useful as a very directional mic.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

stubbsonic wrote:I also just think that a large-diaphram condenser just seems like a better all-around choice for recording where amplification is not involved. My AT4033 is a workhorse for that kind of stuff.

The OM-2 has been pretty useful as a very directional mic.
I hate to disagree, but my experience is the opposite - a large diaphragm condenser mic is just TOO sensitive, and it picks up all the unwanted saliva noises like gangbusters! A small diaphragm mic set a comfortable distance away works better to eliminate that problem.

If I was recording a singer who was singing with music (and not acapella) then sure, a large diaphragm mic rules the day. But for solo voice, all by its lonesome out there, give me a smaller diaphragm mic any day of the week.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Fair point. In theory, doesn't seem to matter whether a large diaphragm or small diaphram is pointed at a person whose signal to saliva-noise ratio is low-- and I don't know how a generic "mic-class-type" choice would affect that, other than with a general tone shape. But the theory is probably much more complicated than my meager understanding.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

stubbsonic wrote:Fair point. In theory, doesn't seem to matter whether a large diaphragm or small diaphram is pointed at a person whose signal to saliva-noise ratio is low-- and I don't know how a generic "mic-class-type" choice would affect that, other than with a general tone shape. But the theory is probably much more complicated than my meager understanding.
It seemed to me to be the incredible sensitivity of my large-diaphragm exacerbated the problems. The way I use it, somewhat "Frank Sinatra style" aiming downwards above my head into my throat, catches the natural dispersion of the voice well, and being over my head pointed downwards also avoids all pops and 'plosives. (I know - those photos show a large-diaphragm mic, but... that's with music!) :)

Terry

Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

This gets off topic, but FM based on your posts and proclivities I'll mention these anyway. I deal with spoken word (people asking questions at large seminars) every day. Besides the folks that 'tick' before every sentence and sometimes before every phrase there are several others that come up constantly. Uh and Um - sometimes in literally every sentence, often as 'and umm... [pause]'. 'Like' is like the most popular like modern word and I understand like it's creeped into our language but when you get to the point of like 8 of them per sentence it makes just about anyone sound like a 12 year old girl.

Another general observation: I watch quite a few youtube studio tutorials and I'm amazed at how bad the level match is between the narration and the music examples. A bit ironic. Some of them lose me altogether- if you can't get your music and narration within 8db of each other then CLICK.

As far as mics go I was always skeptical of lavaliers but I've heard some really good audio from them if they're placed correctly and if the person doesn't slap their chest while their talking. They're used in live TV which isn't your situation but there are some similar challenges.

Good luck and good on ya for going the extra kilometer for good sound quality!

Hope this doesn't impede the mic discussion.

EDIT: I almost forgot if you have any recurring intro theme music make sure it's SUPER LOUD compared to the rest of the video. I think that's a youtube rule.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Phil, I, like, like what you are saying there!

On Facebook, I, like, like likes, like, all the time! It's like, what's not to like about likes? Like, nothin'!!!

Um...

thanks for bringing those factors up.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

philbrown wrote:This gets off topic, but FM based on your posts and proclivities I'll mention these anyway. I deal with spoken word (people asking questions at large seminars) every day. Besides the folks that 'tick' before every sentence and sometimes before every phrase there are several others that come up constantly. Uh and Um - sometimes in literally every sentence, often as 'and umm... [pause]'. 'Like' is like the most popular like modern word and I understand like it's creeped into our language but when you get to the point of like 8 of them per sentence it makes just about anyone sound like a 12 year old girl.
Not off topic at all, Phil.
In this thread I'm interested in anything related to webcasts and tutorials, so your comments are most welcome!

And you're totally correct. Nothing turns me off faster than some grown up talking like an uneducated 10 year old. I hate that!
We have the same in Spanish... Our equivalent of "like" is "o sea".... "O sea... esto.... o sea aquello " ARrrhhhhgg!

Instant credibility killer!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

FMiguelez wrote: We have the same in Spanish... Our equivalent of "like" is "o sea".... "O sea... esto.... o sea aquello " ARrrhhhhgg!

That's funny! I was wondering about that very thing!
I've also heard Europeans in the seminars I edit say 'em' instead of um.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote:
philbrown wrote:This gets off topic, but FM based on your posts and proclivities I'll mention these anyway. I deal with spoken word (people asking questions at large seminars) every day. Besides the folks that 'tick' before every sentence and sometimes before every phrase there are several others that come up constantly. Uh and Um - sometimes in literally every sentence, often as 'and umm... [pause]'. 'Like' is like the most popular like modern word and I understand like it's creeped into our language but when you get to the point of like 8 of them per sentence it makes just about anyone sound like a 12 year old girl.
Not off topic at all, Phil.
In this thread I'm interested in anything related to webcasts and tutorials, so your comments are most welcome!

And you're totally correct. Nothing turns me off faster than some grown up talking like an uneducated 10 year old. I hate that!
We have the same in Spanish... Our equivalent of "like" is "o sea".... "O sea... esto.... o sea aquello " ARrrhhhhgg!

Let's see someone make an app for that!

It can be ike um... multi-lingual? and be in different languages? and it would be ... uhhhh cool and stuff?

I got it: Izotope De-teen. Yea, :koolaid: I predict it would be huuuge!

RX 6 is really good at getting rid of the mouth noises, 'plosives, breath sounds etc. They'd be a natural for this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:I got it: Izotope De-teen. Yea, :koolaid: I predict it would be huuuge!
"De-teening the world one 'like' at a time."™

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

mikehalloran wrote: I got it: Izotope De-teen. Yea, :koolaid: I predict it would be huuuge!
:rofl:

But then Mike, some incensed 17 year old would make an plug-in called 'De-hater'
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Any chances to see any RX6 "de-cool" tool in the future?
I may put bucks in such a little helper...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Lots of great advice in this thread.
One more; you can decide if it is helpful or not:
pay attention to your mic stand. Desktop mics pick up way too much noise. Key noises, computer hum, room sounds, feet on floor (if you have wood floors) and so forth. Suspend your mic so that it is isolated from all the room/computer sounds. That would depend on where you're working and what your desktop parameters are. Is there a wall behind your desk, or do you have room for a stand? You can get wall-mounts for mic booms, as in radio stations. Whatever you do, though, be sure you isolate the mic with more than the little rubber-band basket mic mount. I'd go with the strongest cardioid pattern you have, never omni. Point it slightly off axis so that you aren't sending mouth noises right into it. Compensate for signal drop with gain. Everyone else has said all the important stuff, I'm sure.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:EDIT: I almost forgot if you have any recurring intro theme music make sure it's SUPER LOUD compared to the rest of the video. I think that's a youtube rule.
Oh god yes. And I think you're gonna want a lot more cowbell with that.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|