What's a great microphone to record video-tutorials?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What's a great microphone to record video-tutorials?

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote:No. You could install it into the mic if there's enough room.
When I loosen the XLR connector from the mic, there does appear to be room especially for a small 1/4 watt resister. I like the idea of just making this mod & forgetting it. Very cool tip!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do one first and see how you like it.

One of the reasons that these are go-to mics on toms and guitar cabs is the way that they respond with a 1:15 impedance mismatch.

I recall a 'folk producer' bringing a project to me saying that, though the performances were great, there was something just not right about it. Halfway through the first song, I asked why he used SM57s on the voice and guitar (was he nuts? Of course I could hear it). Well, the artist insisted on using his own mics and bla, bla, bla... Say what? What's the job of the producer if not to talk the talent out of bad mic choices?

Anyway, I ran those tracks through an Antares MM-1 mic modeler. It's the only time I ever used it having paid $100 at a GC closeout the year before. I charged more than $100, you can bet. It didn't do a great job but a bit of eq and the end result was better—everybody was happy. I sold that MM-1 on eBay last year and got my $100 back plus a bit more. Nowadays there are plugs for that.

Speaking of plugs, I used the Mouth De-click from RX 6 on a track over the weekend and I am very impressed. It was one of those new tools (RX 6 & 6A) that I sort of dismissed when I read it in the list. This was on a child's voice and the clicks were annoyingly obvious. One pass at the 50% setting was all I needed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Lots of great info in this thread. Thanks to all, with a nod to Mike...;-)

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote:Speaking of plugs, I used the Mouth De-click from RX 6 on a track over the weekend and I am very impressed. It was one of those new tools (RX 6 & 6A) that I sort of dismissed when I read it in the list. This was on a child's voice and the clicks were annoyingly obvious. One pass at the 50% setting was all I needed.
Wow, I will investigate that! I always wanted a dedicated tool for mouth noise.. as we keep compressing vocals more and more these days, those little clicks can become a big problem fast.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Killahurts wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Speaking of plugs, I used the Mouth De-click from RX 6 on a track over the weekend and I am very impressed. It was one of those new tools (RX 6 & 6A) that I sort of dismissed when I read it in the list. This was on a child's voice and the clicks were annoyingly obvious. One pass at the 50% setting was all I needed.
Wow, I will investigate that! I always wanted a dedicated tool for mouth noise.. as we keep compressing vocals more and more these days, those little clicks can become a big problem fast.
Here's a pretty good pr piece on it.
https://www.izotope.com/en/community/bl ... click.html

I was asked if I could fix a track that can't be redone. I was listening and these noises were just obvious as hell. Then I thought, "I think I bought a tool for that a few weeks ago... can't hurt to try, right?" I was listening to a stereo master so I popped the track into the standalone and selected the Mouth Declick Tool and let it roll. The standalone tells you how many clicks it finds — 48 on this one 46 second track. Ok! I'm now going to have access to the tracks and get to remaster the whole album. I passed the audition as it were.

Both RX and RX Advanced have plugs and work in standalone. All plugs are in the app but not vise versa. In RX, there's one plug—you can activate the tools you want place them in order you need. The Advanced has more tools and splits them into individual plugins. Although I have Advanced, im fairly convinced that, with v.6, music engineers are probably fine with the standard version. De-plosive, Dialog Denoise and De-verb used to be found in Advanced and are now in RX 6. It can be a miracle worker when you need it. Sound for film and audio restoration are best served with Advanced. Here's a comparison chart.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... anced.html
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've ordered some 680 Ohm resistors, and will try that mod in one of my 57s. Just curious, would the occasional phantom power would cause any problems? My mixer is all on or all off, so if I needed to use a 57 along with a condenser would I be inflicting any damage to the 57 or my mixer?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No. Phantom travels up 2 & 3 and back through 1. A resistor between 2 & 3 will have no effect.

Never apply phantom power to a passive ribbon, though.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Got it. Thanks, Mike. I'll report back once I do the first mod.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

terrybritton wrote:The podcasting crowd loves the Samson mics, and an inexpensive Audio Technica one that has botsxh a USB output and on-board headphone jack for hardware monitoring.
This review hits all the ones that are popular these days, but the Samson Meteor and Audio Technica AT2020 are likely the best values.

http://www.micreviews.com/guides/top-10 ... podcasting

I use a Shure Beta 87a, pointing directly downward just over my head and it produces very good audio with no EQ or anything applied. See this video to see it in action in a tutorial I'm doing on Voicemeeter (the video manual).

Terry!
Nice to meet you!

That is exactly what I want to do. Your video is exactly the kind of video that I enjoy watching.
I have "selective" misophonia, unfortunately, so I REALLY appreciate NO MOUTH NOISES.

terrybritton wrote: Still, the secret to no mouth noises is to drink only water (no coffee, tea, soda, etc.) before and during the recording event. Hydration is KEY. It also took much discipline to stop myself from "ticking" with my tongue between phrases. (Many people HATE that!) Stay off the mic enough that saliva noises are not being picked up.
Nice tips!
Yes, many people have degrees of misophonia without knowing it. For instance, the sound of people eating, when I'm not eating, can make me vanish from a room instantly. I can't help it.
terrybritton wrote: Also discovered that no "boom mic" on a headset I could/would afford sounded particularly good.

(I've done 170 videos so far! Wow! So, feel free to ask me for any other pointers or assistance, like perhaps a listen to your test videos.) :-)

Terry
Wow! Thank you for your generous offer, Terry. I will take you up on it with my first video.

You seem very relaxed and comfortable when speaking. Are you improvising, or do you have some kind of script? Or just some talking points like a good orator?

In my first trial I was surprised at how much I suck at doing it improvising. I mumble and stutter and get annoyed! It's not as easy as it looks...
I read lots of heavy duty vlogers use detailed scripts during their recordings.
How do you do usually do it?
I take it you use Screenflow?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I was thinking it might be easier and more effective to first record only the audio spoken word, and THEN record the video footage over my own voice as a guide...
Do you think it's an effective approach?

I should try that.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

FMiguelez wrote:You seem very relaxed and comfortable when speaking. Are you improvising, or do you have some kind of script? Or just some talking points like a good orator?

In my first trial I was surprised at how much I suck at doing it improvising. I mumble and stutter and get annoyed! It's not as easy as it looks...
I read lots of heavy duty vlogers use detailed scripts during their recordings.
How do you do usually do it?
I take it you use Screenflow?

Thanks!
I actually use OBS to make my recordings. There is now a Mac version. (Free, always.)
http://obsproject.com

I have an entire playlist at my channel on how to use the "Classic" version of that software that translates pretty seamlessly into the new "Studio" version.

I've been doing this long enough that improvising to a well-organized outline works far better for me than attempting to read a script and still come across as relaxed and off-the-cuff. Reading a script comes off as extremely stiff and "announcer-like" unless it is well marked up with accent marks like the pros do. Plus, several rehearsals, of course! Speaking extemporaneously from an outline works far better, and is faster, plus you can be doing your screen-grabs live. The OBS software allows you to set up zooms and layouts with the touch of a key on the computer keyboard.

That is not to say I have not done my share of recordings that had to be scrapped and done all over again from scratch as I missed things from the outline! By the third take, it is always a keeper, though. The first two (if it takes that many) make for "rehearsal" takes.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

FMiguelez wrote:I was thinking it might be easier and more effective to first record only the audio spoken word, and THEN record the video footage over my own voice as a guide...
Do you think it's an effective approach?

I should try that.
That works as well, and can make for a shorter video if planned well. But it is usually easy to just know what screens you are needing to present and talk as you are presenting them as well. The two types of video come across entirely differently, IMHO. It is easy if recording the audio to forget to leave enough time for the screens to be shown long enough, making for a "rushed" seeming presentation. So, watch for that. Doing rehearsals and just getting practice time in over time smooths these details out, though!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

BTW, I ordered some 680 ohm resisters and tried the mod on one of my 57's. Took about 5 minutes. I compared it to my other 57, and it seemed to both clear up the top end and flatten out a particular spike in the mid-mid. I liked it, so I did the other one too. Pretty painless little operation.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:BTW, I ordered some 680 ohm resisters and tried the mod on one of my 57's. Took about 5 minutes. I compared it to my other 57, and it seemed to both clear up the top end and flatten out a particular spike in the mid-mid. I liked it, so I did the other one too. Pretty painless little operation.
Back to the OP... Does it sound better to you as a voice over mic?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not really. It's not the right pick up pattern and is a bit too fussy about proximity. The mod improves the flatness, but doesn't address the other features.