Changing pitch AND duration in DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dhelpling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Changing pitch AND duration in DP9

Post by dhelpling »

Is there a way to alter the pitch and the time together (slowing down or speeding up like a sampling or tape-like situation) in DP? I used to do any of this kind of manipulation in Peak...which we all know is gone for good. If not, what are you guys using to do this? Thanks Much - David
stubbsonic

Re: Changing pitch AND duration in DP9

Post by stubbsonic »

When I need this, I open the audio file in Audacity. It does varispeed effects well. You can render them at fixed values, or ramp them up or down over time. If you need to do a specific curve of speed, I'm not sure if Audacity will do that in one step. (It might?)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU demonstrated an improved solution in January at NAMM but it's not yet been released.

There are a number of ways to do this from Mach5 v.3 to freeware to many 3rd party apps and plugs. I use Melodyne Studio and the IRCAM tools found in Mach5 (also available separately and bundled with other apps). I have other apps that boast this feature from Izotope, PSP, TwistedWave and a few more that I don't recall at the moment. Melodyne and IRCAM are considered the best with the fewest artifacts.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Don T

Post by Don T »

+1 melodyne
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

It seems like simple math...would be cool of MOTU would let us highlight a soundbite and choose Audio/Change Pitch/Interpolate - up or down in half steps.
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello
They do, Region > Transpose by MIDI note or audio half step or cents.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

But the OP wants to just slow playback down or speed up, and not do spectral pitch shift (or whatever Transpose uses).

So if a sound bite is selected and it is shifted down by an octave, it would play back at 1/2 speed and be twice as long.

There is an option in the soundbites window to change the sample rate on the header. I don't know if this could be used (in combination with some other steps) to force DP to convert the sample to the current rate or play it back differently.

Nevertheless, Audacity (freeware) does it perfectly-- but yea, I have to leave DP and re-import.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

But the OP wants to just slow playback down or speed up, and not do spectral pitch shift (or whatever Transpose uses).
No, he wants the analog equivalent which is both time and pitch shift.
Nevertheless, Audacity (freeware) does it perfectly-
Perfectly? ehhhh... it's ok for what it does and you can't knock the price.
- but yea, I have to leave DP and re-import.
But, this is how everything works. Even the plugins do this outside of DP then route the audio back in.
http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc2-cont ... -reference
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

Yes, this is what I want to do: to just slow playback down or speed up, and not do spectral pitch shift (or whatever Transpose uses). So if a sound bite is selected and it is shifted down by an octave, it would play back at 1/2 speed and be twice as long.

I've never heard of Audacity, but if I have to use a separate application to achieve this, it needs to be perfect. I could easily create a new program in Kontakt 5 using the original audio and play it back via MIDI and record the output and it will sound amazing, but that is a lot of work that's all.

Thanks again guys - David
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Right, Mike. We're saying the same thing.

The OP described wanting a varispeed function. And Don T was mentioning the transpose function which does not do it that way.

Audacity has a "Change Speed" function that does this without noticeable artifacts. I wouldn't say Audacity does EVERYTHING well, but this particular thing it does essentially perfectly-- which a non-parsnickety reader could interpret as meaning "without the usual compromises". (I suspect it does some kind of drop/add samples (like a sampler would do). Audacity also has a "Sliding Time Scale/Pitch shift that does this as a ramp.

When I use an external editor, I don't use DP's usual functions for defaults. I just do it all manually. Audacity adds a step because it must first import the audio in it's own format then it MUST export it in the desired format; unlike DSP Quattro (for example) which can directly edit AIF or WAV.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:Right, Mike. We're saying the same thing.

The OP described wanting a varispeed function. And Don T was mentioning the transpose function which does not do it that way.

Audacity has a "Change Speed" function that does this without noticeable artifacts. I wouldn't say Audacity does EVERYTHING well, but this particular thing it does essentially perfectly-- which a non-parsnickety reader could interpret as meaning "without the usual compromises". (I suspect it does some kind of drop/add samples (like a sampler would do). Audacity also has a "Sliding Time Scale/Pitch shift that does this as a ramp.

When I use an external editor, I don't use DP's usual functions for defaults. I just do it all manually. Audacity adds a step because it must first import the audio in it's own format then it MUST export it in the desired format; unlike DSP Quattro (for example) which can directly edit AIF or WAV.
I've never tried it in DSP-Quatro but I see it's there (so, another app I have that does this). Having Peak qualifies one for a $49 crossgrade.

TwistedWave can also do it in any audio format. So why use Audacity? I'm not understanding.

Anyway, Superpowered is another freebie:
http://superpowered.com/free-open-sourc ... h-shifting

Audacity has problems installing in Sierra. Apparently no one over there got the word that, if this command is run in Terminal first, Allow apps downloaded from anywhere becomes active.

sudo spctl --master-disable
(Hit <Return> and authenticate with an admin password)

Gatekeeper can be reenabled in Preferences afterward.
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

For vari-speed effects, i.e turntable effects, Effectrix by Sugarbytes works well.
For static slowdown pitch effects, I usually just play back the file in a sampler, easy and old-school.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I had to turn down a song I recorded by a few points in tempo and we have chosen, after some deliberation with the artist, to use the varispeed. I used the Myriad app that I use everyday for other things to turn down all the tracks by 100cents, to which new vocal tracks were laid. The tracks that got turned down are drums, bass and electric guitar. The tempo went from 75 down to around 72. We found the result quite interesting. It gave me some ideas on recording an instrument at a higher pitch and tempo to slow it down in the same way in order to obtain this particular "lazy" type of timber that you get from slowing something down. It is also very nice on kicks, snares and toms when used with a trigger plugin.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

supersonic wrote:It gave me some ideas on recording an instrument at a higher pitch and tempo to slow it down in the same way in order to obtain this particular "lazy" type of timber that you get from slowing something down. It is also very nice on kicks, snares and toms when used with a trigger plugin.
I use an old ADAT machine as clock master when I want to record varispeed FX; clocking my 828mkII to the ADAT output allows me to use DP like an analog tape machine with varispeed. To raise timber, record with clock slowed from project sample rate. To lower timber, record with a faster clock speed.

EDIT: Unfortunately, no longer works with my 828es.
Last edited by HCMarkus on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Do you find it superior in any way to a soft based solution?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl