Changing pitch AND duration in DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Changing pitch AND duration in DP9

Post by Michael Canavan »

dhelpling wrote:Is there a way to alter the pitch and the time together (slowing down or speeding up like a sampling or tape-like situation) in DP? I used to do any of this kind of manipulation in Peak...which we all know is gone for good. If not, what are you guys using to do this? Thanks Much - David
What you're asking for is exactly what old school samplers do, just to load the audio file into DPs built in sampler. for minor tweaks drawing or playing in pitch wheel settings on top of whatever note you use.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

supersonic wrote:Do you find it superior in any way to a soft based solution?
NO artifacts whatsoever. And it's just like I did it years ago, sorta' old school. :lol:

Edit: Unfortunately, no longer works with my 828es. Oh well!
Last edited by HCMarkus on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Michael Canavan wrote:What you're asking for is exactly what old school samplers do, just to load the audio file into DPs built in sampler. for minor tweaks drawing or playing in pitch wheel settings on top of whatever note you use.
It works and sounds great. I wanted to mention that the Nanosampler has a 20-second length limit, unfortunately.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

I've been playing around with is a way to do the tape slow down effect in DP 9.5. I'm not sure if it's the best or easiest. Need to experiment some more. If any of you have a quicker better way, chime in.
It's a 2 step thing.
1st set the tempo to conductor, draw in your tempo change. (spline works for me) Then select your soundbite Audio>Adjust Soundbites to sequence tempo.
2nd draw in a pitch curve as well. I set it to 'relative'.

The only draw back is the tempo change affects the whole sequence. Haven't thought about that too much. Bounce down would be my first thought, chunks maybe...
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Bunch of noise making things
DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

I spoke too soon. This is a bit of a retraction. There's a few issues with this method.

1. My conductor track bottoms out at 20bpm. I'm searching if this is baked into DP or can be changed somewhere.

2. If I work on the end of a soundbite everything (bars, tempo, soundbites) to the end of the sequence gets moved around. Working in the middle of a soundbite helps.

I'm spending way too much time on this!
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Bunch of noise making things
magicd

Post by magicd »

There is another option. Select the audio, go to the Audio menu and choose Spectral Effects. This was the original pitch shifting in DP. Spectral Effects gives you independent control over pitch, tempo, and formants. You can change pitch and tempo without changing the formant if you like. Note that this is designed for monophonic audio only and does not offer automation to change the effect over time.

Dave