Grid snap override

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Grid snap override

Post by SMS »

I sure wish there was a key combo to temporarily toggle the grid snap setting that would work everywhere. I get that cmd-cntrl does the override, but I'd like to be able to use it with different tools, for instance cmd-cntrl-c to use the scissor tool (with grid snap setting toggled), or cmd-cntrl left or right arrow to nudge with the grid snap toggled. Kinda annoying to constantly be turning the grid snapping on and off separately. Interested in how others work when editing.

Thanks
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Grid snap override

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm pretty sure I only need to hold the cmd key to override snap to (or visa versa if that's how you have it set up).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
SMS

Post by SMS »

Thanks for the response.

I've discovered a couple of things:

• The manual writes "Command/Control" to indicate Command for Mac and Control for windows. the command key alone works for mac. I knew that.

• If the snap to grid check box is deselected, and the snap to marker box (I've never used that!) is selected, the command key deselects snap to marker instead of selecting snap to grid. If they're both off, it turns them both on, and if they're both on, it turns them both off. AHA!

• To use temporary snap toggling along with a temporary tool selection (I'm in the habit of using the c key to temporarily switch to the scissor tool, for instance), you must hit the tool selection key first, so C-Command to select scissor and toggle the grid.

That problem solved, thanks for the help.

I'd like to be able to use a key to temporarily toggle grid snap for nudging with the arrow keys, but can't get that to work even if I delete the cmd-arrow zooming shortcuts in the Commands window.

Any suggestions for that?
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

SMS wrote:y to temporarily toggle grid snap for nudging with the arrow keys, but can't get that to work even if I delete the cmd-arrow zooming shortcuts in the Commands window.

Any suggestions for that?
I use Command - [ and Command ] to change the nugde/snap value. Once that's set, use the arrows to move your selection.

If the arrows don't work, perhaps there's still another shortcut conflict.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
SMS

Post by SMS »

Do you mean you can hold the command key and use the arrow keys to nudge?
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

No, command is pressed only to defeat the current snap setting. If it's on, it'll turn it off, and viceversa.

The other shortcuts, command-] and command - [ , are what I use to change the value of the grid/snap, i.e., from quarter notes to eight notes.

Whatever I have selected will move by the snap setting when I press the arrows.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
SMS

Post by SMS »

FMiguelez wrote:No, command is pressed only to defeat the current snap setting. If it's on, it'll turn it off, and viceversa.

The other shortcuts, command-] and command - [ , are what I use to change the value of the grid/snap, i.e., from quarter notes to eight notes.

Whatever I have selected will move by the snap setting when I press the arrows.
Understood, thanks. I want to be able to temporarily turn off (or on) the grid snap to nudge, both soundbites and MIDI events. In other words, use the arrow keys to nudge with the command key held down.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Control G turns grid on and off.

Cmd is a latching on/off function which is fine for dragging but not for nudging with the arrow keys as that key combo is obviously zoom in and out. That's where I use Control G to enable/disable grid then use the arrow keys to nudge.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
SMS

Post by SMS »

Sean Kenny wrote:Control G turns grid on and off.

Cmd is a latching on/off function which is fine for dragging but not for nudging with the arrow keys as that key combo is obviously zoom in and out. That's where I use Control G to enable/disable grid then use the arrow keys to nudge.
Right… I would like to be able to hold down command and use the arrow keys to nudge. However even disabling the zoom commands doesn't allow this to work.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

SMS wrote:

Right… I would like to be able to hold down command and use the arrow keys to nudge. However even disabling the zoom commands doesn't allow this to work.
Why do you need the cmd key? Just use the arrow keys, and then Ctrl G if you need to toggle grid on or off.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Because that requires an extra step – toggle the grid, then nudge. I just think it would be so much easier if you could just nudge while holding down a modifier to toggle the grid
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

SMS wrote:Because that requires an extra step – toggle the grid, then nudge. I just think it would be so much easier if you could just nudge while holding down a modifier to toggle the grid
you can modify the commands hotkey in the Commands page to just G it still toggles but at least that limits the hassle to just one extra keystroke to toggle back when you've done your edit. The function appears to be latching on and not momentary for nudging

although it is momentary if you cmd drag.

Maybe suggest you preference to Motu, you never know they may add it as a feature
SMS

Post by SMS »

Cmd is a latching on/off function which is fine for dragging
Actually it's a temporary toggle, not latching.

From the manual:

"...hold down the Command/Ctrl key while dragging. Doing so overrides the edit grid temporarily."

...which is very handy. I just would like it to work for nudging, too. I'll make a feature request to MOTU
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT