Need advice about poss latency issue

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kellog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need advice about poss latency issue

Post by Kellog »

Hey all. I'm experiencing what I believe to be audio files sitting later in time than when I recorded them...like a 32nd note later than when I played them (at a fairly up tempo-171 bpm).
Now, I will own that my timing can stray sometimes- but this is different and I would swear that I am pretty darn locked when laying the part. And then upon playback it just 'feels late and looks a tad behind the beat". I finally nudged the part earlier and it feels correct.
So, if I am not off time during track recording, can you all think of a setting I can check that may be placing what I've recorded slightly later than it should be?
I have turned off audio patch thru which helped me stop hearing the latency of going thru my Apollo, (and lets me run at 512 buffer (hopefully relieving any strain that may be taxing my system)
Any help appreciated ( even if that means saying
"dude yer timing must stink cuz DP9 wouldn't misplace audio..."
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
Kurt Cowling

Re: Need advice about poss latency issue

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Make sure you have no latency inducing plugins on your Master Fader.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you want to be sure, record the output of a track with a transient back to another track (running out of a physical analog output and back in an input) and compare; if placement is off, there is an issue and see the Getting Started manual about adjusting i/o timing.
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Thanks guys. Sonarworks Reference 3 on the master Output was the culprit. I've had it a while and I think it's helping my mixing room anomalies. But it def threw a delay into how my tracks were being recorded. Guess I've been mixing more than tracking and didn't notice.
I wonder why DP's auto latency correction didn't fix it, but I'm happy to just track with it off for now.
For a while there I was wondering "has my timing gone to hell?". Sure glad to know I'm not crazy.
Thanks Kurt Cowling and HCMarkus for the assistance!
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

My time is pretty good, but I AM crazy! :lol: