Latency

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latency

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi.....
I just completed a clean system install and rebuild from scratch on my Mac Pro system. All went well and my system is performing great… except that I'm now getting latency from my VIs that I never noticed before. Specifically, when I play a note on my controller keyboard, there's a noticeable delay (maybe a 10th of a second) before sound comes out of my speakers.
--My A-88 keyboard is plugged direct into a USB jack on my Mac Pro
--In DP, I have MIDI patch-thru set to auto channelize with patch thru in background and sync recorded MIDI to patch thru.
--(FYI: Audio patch-thru is off. I monitor audio going in direct from my Apogee interface, which works fine. The latency is only from my VIs in DP.)

I didn't have this kind of delay before I rebuilt. Any suggestions on settings I could change? Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Kurt Cowling

Re: Latency

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Try turning off "sync recorded MIDI to patch thru". I seem to remember several on this board having an issue with that.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Kurt Cowling wrote:Try turning off "sync recorded MIDI to patch thru". I seem to remember several on this board having an issue with that.
Thanks for the idea, Kurt. It made no difference for me.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Check your Input Monitoring Mode in the Studio menu. One of those 2 options may fix it.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FMiguelez wrote:Check your Input Monitoring Mode in the Studio menu. One of those 2 options may fix it.
Thanks for the thought, but I already went there. Since I don't have a MOTU audio interface, I only have one option on that menu (the other gets greyed out).
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Re: Latency—FIXED!?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Yesterday, I dove deeper into this.

I had been testing with a piano patch in MachFive3, where I could clearly hear the start of the VI note against the physical sound of my keyboard key.
I started adjusting everything in sight… studio settings, audio I/O timing, et a; (input monitoring mode isn't an option for me because I direct echo is only available with MOTU interfaces). In most cases, I returned settings to the default when they didn't make an immediate difference.
Quit and rebooted DP.
Restarted my Mac Pro.
Tried different VIs.

Switched to one of the little DP VIs to see if using MAS instead of AU made a difference, and suddenly—no delay. Response is spot-on. Tried some AU VIs… same (they play fine). Went back to MF3… no delay.

Wish I knew what I did to fix it. Now I can't reproduce the latency! Oh well… happy to have it fixed.
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Fri May 26, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Sorry, Rick, but with all that build-up now you HAVE to find out what you did to fix it!!! :P

Glad it is working at last! Computers have minds of their own it seems, eh?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

terrybritton wrote:Sorry, Rick, but with all that build-up now you HAVE to find out what you did to fix it!!! :P

Glad it is working at last! Computers have minds of their own it seems, eh?

Terry
I know! Once I get past a deadline today, I will spend some time to try to isolate what setting eliminated the latency.
Rick Cornish

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

FWIW...I had the same problem when I had a VI
window open..checking "Run Open Instances of This
PlugIn in Real Time" fixed it.

It used to be that VI's always ran in real-time. In
DP 9.12 and 9.13, they are NOT in real-time unless
you enable real-time as explained above.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com