touchscreen for DP Asus or Dell?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

touchscreen for DP Asus or Dell?

Post by bleach30 »

So anyone using a touchscreen with DP? Not talking about Raven..like the Dell or Asus touchscreen.
Ive been thinking about getting but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks as always
HCMarkus

Re: touchscreen for DP Asus or Dell?

Post by HCMarkus »

http://touch-base.com

A quick Google search raises more questions as it answers... there is a list of supported devices at the referenced website. The macOS software sells for $171.00.

If you go for a touch screen, please report back and let us know how it works.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Yeah thats what I have..more questions and less answers. Thanks for the link and if I get one I will certainly post about it.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

OSX isn't designed for touch screens, Slate did a great job, and it's not much more than the hardware and ancillary software is when bought separately. IMO you're going to regret trying to save maybe a few hundred on a +/- $700investment instead of going with a solution like the MTi2.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Raven
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

you guys and the MTi2... :D

I was trying really hard NOT to spend 999.00 but ok lets talk about it because I am curious about that one as well.

What is you experience like with the MTi2?
Workflow wise Im sure you use it for mixing but are you doing any audio editing with it? Do you have to use the Slate mixer or can you just use DP? I do a lot of sound design so being able to grab soundbites
and edit,arrange,and mix them is very interesting.

I don't really care too much about the macro commands thing. I have a pretty extensive DP iPad/Oscilator template.

Im on an iMac so can it run as a second monitor? I could use it for DP and say run a movie or whatever on the iMac?

I will probably have some more dumb questions later but thats it for now.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

How is the angle on the Raven? looking at videos..it seems kind of steep..meaning it seems like it sits up too much to be comfortable to work on on? Is it adjustable to sit lower?
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

HCMarkus wrote:http://touch-base.com

A quick Google search raises more questions as it answers... there is a list of supported devices at the referenced website. The macOS software sells for $171.00.

If you go for a touch screen, please report back and let us know how it works.
Im using several older 15" ELO touch monitors - see my signature - ( via USB to Serial adapters ) for my live mixing work, and I also record with DP 7.2.4, but for that, I have to use the mouse for the small buttons…
As for the price ( touch screen ), I had direct contact with Dave ( touch base ) and he is probably not only working for ELO...
I downloaded free ELO drivers for OSX ( SL and Lion )
but for Linux ( that I'm testing and preparing for some stuff ), I had to pay that amount.
Probably depends on popularity of HW / OS combination…
The ELO site has free OSX drivers, I'm almost sure…

Best

Klaus
Michael Canavan

bleach30 wrote: What is you experience like with the MTi2?
Workflow wise Im sure you use it for mixing but are you doing any audio editing with it?
The new Gestures update 100% made it more useful for audio editing etc. Zoom is included so any GUI element that's too small is just a two finger spread away, there are gestures for slicing audio and muting etc.
Do you have to use the Slate mixer or can you just use DP? I do a lot of sound design so being able to grab soundbites
and edit,arrange,and mix them is very interesting.
The Slate mixer is much better for mixing, but as you would expect since it uses HUI protocol V-Racks aren''r supported, I end up using the DP mixer for V-Racks and using the touch screen. Plug ins are great with the Raven, it does make you wish everyone thought about this when creating a GUI for their plug in. U-He Dive, Arturia, DMG, all are great, Falcon and NI are cumbersome size wise for instance and I jump between the mouse and touch using them.
Im on an iMac so can it run as a second monitor? I could use it for DP and say run a movie or whatever on the iMac?
Yes, that's exactly how you would do it, Raven wants the Consolidated Window at least on the Raven, but movies etc. on the other screen is how it works.

For me anyway Gestures was a huge difference, everything changed when they took OSX track pad commands and applied them directly to the screen like that. it also work in Safari etc. Some things naturally work better for gestures and a few still work better with the mouse etc. Cutting audio up is a blast with the touch screen, but I still think vertical zooming is easier with Command --> etc.

Hopefully Waxman chimes in, I'm most definitely a composer electronic musician, so my use of the Raven is different than him, as he's a studio wizard. He aligns the floating Raven mixer up with the slots etc. in the DP mixer, it's a good method I just started in on.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Michael Canavan wrote:
For me anyway Gestures was a huge difference, everything changed when they took OSX track pad commands and applied them directly to the screen like that. it also work in Safari etc. Some things naturally work better for gestures and a few still work better with the mouse etc. Cutting audio up is a blast with the touch screen, but I still think vertical zooming is easier with Command --> etc.

Hopefully Waxman chimes in, I'm most definitely a composer electronic musician, so my use of the Raven is different than him, as he's a studio wizard. He aligns the floating Raven mixer up with the slots etc. in the DP mixer, it's a good method I just started in on.
Thanks Michael this is exactly the info I was looking for. I also create music as well as a lot of sound design so this is what I would be using it for. I mix too but that is a secondary concern.

So how is the angle of the screen? Comfortable, ergonomic, adjustable to a lower angle than I've seen on most videos?
rangerx

Post by rangerx »

bleach30 wrote:So anyone using a touchscreen with DP? Not talking about Raven..like the Dell or Asus touchscreen.
Ive been thinking about getting but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks as always
im using the acer t272hul with mac you have to buy a 3rd party driver from touch base $171 usd acts more like a fancy mouse the daw needs to support multiple touch, the screen looks perfect. with dp9 even the small fader works well not an issue
but multiple touch outside the daw like the ipad touch base has a demo before purchase
Mac min 16 gig, Mac pro 6.1 64 gig
Kawai VPC1 ,Nektar P6, Maschine Studio, 2 Mascjine Jam
Motu 828 es, acer touch screen t272hul. 3 Asus monitiors

ITS A GOOD DAY FOR A SMILE !
Michael Canavan

rangerx wrote:acts more like a fancy mouse the daw needs to support multiple touch
Just to be clear, that's not true on OSX, since OSX doesn't support multiple touch screens natively, neither will your DAW, your touch screen etc. Slate get around this by applying touchpad gestures and Mackie Control and Xpander protocols directly onto the screen with UPDD, V-Control and their own proprietary software. So you get ten point control of the Raven faders, one point control of DP's Mixer, and numerous key command/gesture features that use multiple fingers to execute.
rangerx

Post by rangerx »

Michael Canavan wrote:
rangerx wrote:acts more like a fancy mouse the daw needs to support multiple touch
Just to be clear, that's not true on OSX, since OSX doesn't support multiple touch screens natively, neither will your DAW, your touch screen etc. Slate get around this by applying touchpad gestures and Mackie Control and Xpander protocols directly onto the screen with UPDD, V-Control and their own proprietary software. So you get ten point control of the Raven faders, one point control of DP's Mixer, and numerous key command/gesture features that use multiple fingers to execute.
with touch base driver i do have multi gesture but as you said not on DP , i'm supposed to have 10 point for some reason only 5 so at this time only use it as mouse function

on osx level swipe zoom etc.. all an ipad can do i can with touch base driver
touch base also uses UPDD
just wondering is the daw in raven function multitouch with faders on DP ?
Mac min 16 gig, Mac pro 6.1 64 gig
Kawai VPC1 ,Nektar P6, Maschine Studio, 2 Mascjine Jam
Motu 828 es, acer touch screen t272hul. 3 Asus monitiors

ITS A GOOD DAY FOR A SMILE !