What the heck?!?! Pitch editing in a copied soundbite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
scottlawson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by scottlawson »

I need your help all. I'm having an issue that I'm hoping you can explain. I had a singer come in to sing a few tracks of backing vocals. Somehow in the confusion, we missed one of the choruses on one of the tracks. Now she's no longer here. So I selected and grabbed her part for the second chorus and put it where her part in the first chorus should have been. So far, so good. But one note at the end of the second chorus is different because it transitions to a bridge and modulates keys. No problem, I thought: I'll just correct the note by moving it in the pitch window in the sequence window. That worked just fine, but now the change is being reflected in the original soundbite as well, rendering it out of tune when it hits the bridge. Why do all my changes in the copied soundbite get automatically made in the original soundbite? How can I make them behave independently? Thanks!
Kurt Cowling

Re: What the heck?!?! Pitch editing in a copied soundbite

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Select one of them and then under the Audio menu choose "Duplicate Soundbite". Now they can be pitch corrected independently.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
scottlawson

Post by scottlawson »

Thanks, Kurt. You have saved me! Much appreciated.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There's more than one way to do this but I would undo and restore the original soundbite to its previous state. No need to undo the Paste, though.

You can use DP highlight just that portion of the track you want and use Bounce to Disk to make a copy of just that chorus.

Drop it into the track and edge edit. Correct the pitch as you like.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Or...option stretch (or condense) the second copied soundbite. It makes a new one which you can then restore to the desired length.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, DP just thinks they are the same soundbite (because they are) so you have to do some maneuver (some have suggested above so that DP knows you want them to be different.

I personally wouldn't use the time-stretch option, as I fear it might leave little artifacts.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sun May 21, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

stubbsonic wrote:I personally wouldn't use the time-stretch option, as I fear it might leave little artifacts.
I should have worded it differently.

I didn't mean to time-stretch, just lengthen or shorten the soundbite by edge editing with the option key. With the option key engaged, that forces DP to create a new soundbite no longer attached to the parent.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I think Merge Soundbite would work here, too.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Merge! Good call.

I think if you wanted to conserve disk space, you could have two different soundbites referring to the same audio file each with its own pitch edit info. So theoretically, you wouldn't need to do anything other than use buzzy's method of edge editing to create another soundbite without adding data. (Make sure edge edit copy is checked. This ensures that if you have two of the same soundbite and edge edit the second, the first won't change.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

"Duplicate" will not generate a new audio file, just a duplicate soundbite. That's why I suggested it in the first reply in this thread.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Good to know. Yea all the rest of this hoop jumping is unnecessary.

scottlawson

Post by scottlawson »

As always, I am impressed by the breadth of knowledge of the Nation and appreciate all the great tips.