Can we work in DP with multi-mono tracks?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can we work in DP with multi-mono tracks?

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I just received a bunch of audio tracks recorded in Protools by another studio. We've been sending each other stuff like that back and fourth.
Everything's worked fine using consolidated audio files recorded over a tempo map.
However, some of the files I just received are in the old non-interleaved format with the "xx.L" and "xx.R" extensions.

When I import them in DP, they automatically go into regular stereo tracks. They stay deinterleaved or they get converted to regular stereo interleaved according to the preferences. But I understand that in PT there's an option of working with them as 2 "linked" mono files in 2 mono tracks that sort of behave like a regular stereo track?
Isn't that what it is called multi-mono? I'm not sure about that...

I seem to remember that from some tutorials I've seen.

What if I want to work in DP like that? Is it possible? Not that I will, but I'm just curious about this.
Is there even any advantage with multi-mono?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Re: Can we work in DP with multi-mono tracks?

Post by mikehalloran »

Is it possible? Of course it is — everything is possible, right?

What I don't know is if you have to split the files in DP after import (more than one way to do that) or if there's a way to import them as separate R and L.

I remember doing that once but don't remember why. It was a long time ago. I must have had a reason.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote:
What I don't know is if you have to split the files in DP after import (more than one way to do that) or if there's a way to import them as separate R and L.
So far I only could prevent DP from automatically putting them on stereo tracks by actually changing the names of the files in the finder to get rid of the L and R portions, and then importing them independently as 2 mono files.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What do you want to do with them?

If you just want to be able to pan the two tracks as if they were mono, you can bring them in as .L and .R tracks, to a stereo channel and put the Trim plugin on it. If you then want to treat them differently with effects you can output to a stereo bus but then route the two sides to mono audio tracks.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:So far I only could prevent DP from automatically putting them on stereo tracks by actually changing the names of the files in the finder to get rid of the L and R portions, and then importing them independently as 2 mono files.
And that's probably the best way to do it. :wink:

I've done this myself with imports and it works fine. I just change the period to an underscore.
(i.e., Phil.L.wav > Phil_L.wav)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

When it comes to interleaved / de-interleaved format converting, AudioFinder is my friend.
Sort of swissknife audio app and more.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote:When it comes to interleaved / de-interleaved format converting, AudioFinder is my friend.
Sort of swissknife audio app and more.
TwistedWave is my go-to for such tasks as I already own a license. One can batch-process a number of folders at once putting the converted files back into their original folders if that's what you want.
https://twistedwave.com/mac.html

I've barely explored all if can do. And it is fast.
https://twistedwave.com/doc/index.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:What do you want to do with them?
I'm not reall y sure....

The other day a saw a PT tutorial, and I liked how easy it was for the guy to freely manipulate stereo tracks with dual mono plug-ins. For instance, he wanted to do some M/S processing, and instead of having to route things to a matrix, he could do it right there by unlinking his EQ and compressor plug-ins.

It seems quite convenient to be able to do such things quickly without routing tricks.