Getting DP hosted VI's in sync with VEP hosted ones

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting DP hosted VI's in sync with VEP hosted ones

Post by Tripi »

I feel like this has been an issue for a long time with DP, so I doubt it has anything to do with the latest release. It's pretty easy to see that if you start playback at a downbeat where a virtual instrument (that is tempo dependent) is hosted in DP, it will be out of sync with anything coming from Vienna Ensemble. The easy way around this is to start playback a measure earlier, so that the notes all trigger at the same time (and includes DP's latency compensation). The problem comes up when you just want to play back from a certain point, or if you have a long repeating synth part using a single long MIDI note. It can be pretty frustrating and annoying if you need to let DP start from before a note entrance to keep things in sync.

Does anyone know of a way to change the behavior of DP-hosted VI's? Having them in real time doesn't seem to solve the issue.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Michael Canavan

Re: Getting DP hosted VI's in sync with VEP hosted ones

Post by Michael Canavan »

Tripi wrote: It's pretty easy to see that if you start playback at a downbeat where a virtual instrument (that is tempo dependent) is hosted in DP, it will be out of sync with anything coming from Vienna Ensemble.
Out of curiosity are you talking about Maschine or some other VI with a sequencer built in? I know that Maschine gets wildly out of time if it's not locked into measures, and that's without me owning VEP.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I'm actually talking about VI's with internal arpeggiators or sequencers, like Arp2600 or Zebra.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Tripi wrote:I'm actually talking about VI's with internal arpeggiators or sequencers, like Arp2600 or Zebra.
Personally I would try 9.13 if you haven't, the release notes say they fixed issues with VEP. If you have then at least I bumped your thread right? :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I am talking about 9.13. Going to update my signature now (finally).
dix

Post by dix »

No such problem here with the arpeggiators in Omnisphere or Kontakt via VEP.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Hi. Maybe I needed to phrase this better. The problem isn't with VI's hosted in VEP, it's with VI's hosted in DP and VEP not playing in sync together. If I have a Zebra arpeggiator in VEP and the same exact one in DP, and I start playing back the same note on the downbeat, they will be out of sync. If I start playback 1 measure before the note begins, they will be in sync. Does that make more sense?