Grid resolution in Tracks Window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dogeatdogg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Grid resolution in Tracks Window

Post by dogeatdogg »

Why isn't it possible to change the grid resolution or snap to marker etc in the Tracks overview window? There's a tab for it on the top right of the window but it's greyed out. Same in the Snap Info tab. It works fine in the other editors

Thanks
Mac Pro 10.11.5 48GB Ram, Cubase 9, DP 9, Lynx Aurora

www.dieterhartmann.com
stubbsonic

Re: Grid resolution in Tracks Window

Post by stubbsonic »

I think the TO window snaps to the "barlines" (which are not really barlines). And those grid lines are defined by the zoom level. This gives you fewer options for grid snapping, but gives you some basic binary levels as you zoom in/out. Holding COMMAND will let you free-drag selections without snapping.

I didn't see the greyed out tab you referred to for snapping to grid.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

dogeatdogg wrote:Why isn't it possible to change the grid resolution or snap to marker etc in the Tracks overview window?
Call MOTU and ask. Nobody here knows anything about that except to say, "That must be how it works."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dogeatdogg wrote:Why isn't it possible to change the grid resolution or snap to marker etc in the Tracks overview window? There's a tab for it on the top right of the window but it's greyed out. Same in the Snap Info tab. It works fine in the other editors

Thanks
Like the others said, but I would add that Tracks overview is exactly as the name implies. More of a window for moving large chunks of data around, not refining edits etc.

To give you an idea my basic workflow is to use Markers for various sections of the song, so selecting the marker selects that whole section to the next part, then I'm able to cut, splice, paste etc. If I'm wanting to move a whole section a quarter note earlier I might use the Sequence Editor instead. I think it's old name of Tracks Overview gives you an idea of what MOTU intended it for.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.