Cloud backup?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cloud backup?

Post by SMS »

Looking for recommendations. I'm trialling (??) Carbonite, but it seems like a CPU hog and there are no scheduling features. iDrive has a 1TB limit or else $$$$.

Suggestions?

Thanks
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
bleach30

Re: Cloud backup?

Post by bleach30 »

Im using BackBlaze. Unlimited storage, unlimited drives, schedule your back up or do it manually and the best part...5.00/month..5 dollars.

Ive had to retrieve old (and large) projects from there a couple of times over the past few months and have had zero problems. Its lite on the cpu and I am able to work while it does its thing in the background.

I use the "personal option"

https://www.backblaze.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

SMS

Post by SMS »

bleach30 wrote:Im using BackBlaze. Unlimited storage, unlimited drives, schedule your back up or do it manually and the best part...5.00/month..5 dollars.

Ive had to retrieve old (and large) projects from there a couple of times over the past few months and have had zero problems. Its lite on the cpu and I am able to work while it does its thing in the background.

I use the "personal option"

https://www.backblaze.com

Thanks. Carbonite finally finished the first backup of around 88GB- took about a week over my 8Mbps connection, with the processor at over 90% the whole time and the fan working hard. Now it seems OK, but I don't want it attemting to run while I'm in the middle of a take or something. I'll try BackBlaze for the scheduling feature alone.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
frankf

Cloud backup?

Post by frankf »

How does Backblaze compare with Crashplan for archiving multiple DP projects and Sample libraries?

Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just ran into this:

https://www.trustedaudio.com/now_free

I haven't used it, but am interested in anyone's input.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

frankf wrote:How does Backblaze compare with Crashplan for archiving multiple DP projects and Sample libraries?

I haven't used CrashPlan so I can't really compare the two but, I do have 4 sample drives and 1 project drive for DP and PT which is backed up now on BackBlaze. I've had to retrieve projects for both DP and PT including video files and have had no issues with lost or otherwise screwed up media files. Everything came back exactly how I left it. I have also retrieved sample libraries with the same result.

The first time backing up did take a bit of time. But after that it only backs up new or changed files and does so pretty quickly.

Sorry i can't directly compare the 2.