Locking Data?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dogeatdogg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Locking Data?

Post by dogeatdogg »

Hey now,

Is there a way to lock data on audio and MIDI tracks?
By that I mean to lock events so they can't be moved, deleted or edited accidentally.
The lock icon doesn't do that but I can't find anything in the manual or online.

Thank you
Mac Pro 10.11.5 48GB Ram, Cubase 9, DP 9, Lynx Aurora

www.dieterhartmann.com
FMiguelez

Re: Locking Data?

Post by FMiguelez »

Nope.
There's not a function for that, unfortunately.

The lock icon is for tempo-related stuff only.

The most you can currently do is select all soundbites and assign user time-stamps to all files in one fell swoop. That way you could line them up again if they get moved. They do not, however, know to which track they belong.

I've never felt the need for this feature, but you're not the only DP newbie to ask for it, so tell MOTU about it if you want it implemented at some point.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dogeatdogg

Post by dogeatdogg »

Thank you!
Mac Pro 10.11.5 48GB Ram, Cubase 9, DP 9, Lynx Aurora

www.dieterhartmann.com
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I would love to have a feature, and have been asking MOTU for one for years, to lock selected audio tracks to each-other.

I end up editing stems and moving them around as a group when finishing a film, also cutting and pasting, and it's WAY too easy for a track to occasionally get nudged a few milliseconds off when doing group edits of tracks.

I always thought that ability would also help people editing drums, where if something gets knocked off a few milliseconds by mistake, all of a sudden you have phase-issues and no idea where they suddenly came from.

There are workarounds for all of this, but they are almost as time-consuming as doing the actually editing itself.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

dogeatdogg wrote:Is there a way to lock data on audio and MIDI tracks?
By that I mean to lock events so they can't be moved, deleted or edited accidentally.
Almost all software has this feature. It's under the "File" menu. It's called "Save."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

One thing that can be done is Duplicate Track, so the original is always readily available.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

HCMarkus wrote:One thing that can be done is Duplicate Track, so the original is always readily available.
Yes. I do that all of the time in case I missed a bad splice or something in a track with multiple punch-ins or edits before I merge all of the soundbites and then export a track to, for instance, Melodyne for some manipulation.

Always nice to know that I can go back to the original un-merged version.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

waxman

Post by waxman »

Hi Buzz... I always keep 2 versions back copied for all MIDI data... For example with BFD3 I do multiple takes of the drummer who is playing Roland Pads. Once that session is done I copy all those and save to a folder called original drum tracks.

Then I start assembling takes or usually just use the best take. Once that is done I make a copy and call it Comp 1... I continue in that manner putting those comps into a folder called edited drums. Comp 1, 2,3, etc...

I have had a few times where I've goofed up somewhere in editing messed up the data and had to go back.

I do the same with synths, and piano. The back up MIDI tracks don't take up much but I still disable them. Also I hide them and put them at the bottom of the list so they don't come up on the Raven. I do all the editing in SE Window. Hope that helps...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.