Renamed Soundbites are not in my Audio Files Folder

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dogeatdogg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Renamed Soundbites are not in my Audio Files Folder

Post by dogeatdogg »

Hey there.

So in Cubase, when I rename an audio file, it'll be in the audio files folder with the new name. In DP, however, it isn't.
Am I doing something wrong?
Mac Pro 10.11.5 48GB Ram, Cubase 9, DP 9, Lynx Aurora

www.dieterhartmann.com
Gravity Jim

Re: Renamed Soundbites are not in my Audio Files Folder

Post by Gravity Jim »

You are apparently doing everything wrong.

Seriously, DP doesn't do this; when you rename a soundbite, it appears in the list with it's new name. Anyone here would need more explanation about how you did it to respond.

BTW, these flamey-trolly "wow, DP kind sucks compared to Cubase" messages aren't worth the bandwidth.

So, do address the OP... what did you do to produce this effect, step by step? Are you taking alphabetization into account? (The new name will place the resulting file in a different location in the list.)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's a perfectly valid question. I see no problem comparing this functionality based on your expectations from another DAW (that can be a useful piece of info). There was absolutely nothing flamey or trolly about your "Am I doing something wrong?" question.

It's not especially obvious, but in DP's soundbites window what you are seeing are regions which are "inside" audio files. Put another way, the soundbites list shows all the defined regions of a project. The project might have 10 audio files and 150 regions. This means that more than one region can be associated with a single audio file. When you rename a region, you are affecting something that is inside the audio file, not the file itself.

To do what you want to do, simply expand the soundbites window larger so you can see the "File" column. You could scroll right, but then you won't be able to see the soundbite name associated with the file, which might confuse things.

Now you can option click (Mac) on that file name and rename it. You may see the file name change for multiple soundbites (that are all associated with this file). This name change will appear in the Audio Files folder. If you want to name more than one in the list, you can use the numeric keyboard ENTER key to go to the next file in the list.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dogeatdogg

Post by dogeatdogg »

What are you on about? ' flamey-trolly "wow, DP kind sucks' really?
You sound a bit flamey-trolly if you ask me. I just asked a question.

www.dieterhartmann.com
dogeatdogg

Post by dogeatdogg »

I renamed the files by option clicking on the top part of the file and typing in a new name.

Thank you

www.dieterhartmann.com
dogeatdogg

Post by dogeatdogg »

Thanks for the detailed info 'stubbsonic'.
Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Flamey-Trolley

www.dieterhartmann.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

dogeatdogg wrote: Sincerely,

Flamey-Trolley
At least you own up to it.

Try this: RTFM. Learn how to use DP. Then, if you still have questions, lots of people on this forum can help. But your current habit of flooding the board with imaginary problems makes you look like a disruptor. Most of the people on this forum are just too nice to call you on it, but that already led to one deeply embedded troll.

So, maybe you should learn a bit more about the software before dialing 911 every time you notice something that isn't like Cubase.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]