freezing and bouncing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

freezing and bouncing

Post by philbrown »

As far as I can tell, freezing is just bouncing and then disabling the original the original track(s), and unfreezing is basically undoing the bounce and enabling the original track(s). Is there some other diference I'm missing? Just curious.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
buzzsmith

Re: freezing and bouncing

Post by buzzsmith »

This is not really an answer to your question but it may help others.

Freezing is real time and bouncing is much faster.

If I have 5 VI drum tracks in a 4 minute song, freezing each track would take about 20 minutes total for the 5 tracks. With bouncing, total time is around 5 minutes.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hang on while the chorus against bouncing chimes in. I bounce 99% of the time. I NEVER bounce when there is a complex VI at work. Complex in the sense that it is highly scripted and/or a very large VI (in terms of the number of samples being triggered). In fact, I will sometimes bounce the simple sequence parts in one pass and then do a separate realtime (freeze) on the complex VIs. Otherwise, I will hear lots of dropouts, clicks, pops, farts, etc. OK, maybe the farts are from a difference sauce [sic] butt you get my drift, so to speak.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

buzzsmith wrote:Freezing is real time and bouncing is much faster.
While that is generally true, BTD can actually take longer than realtime. I've had projects that were so CPU-intensive, they'd play back with popping noises, stuttering, etc. However, BTD would render the final perfectly, even though it would take longer than Freezing would because DP was taking time with its computations to make everything error-free.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I haven't had a project like that in a long time, fortunately.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Tritonemusic wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:Freezing is real time and bouncing is much faster.
While that is generally true, BTD can actually take longer than realtime. I've had projects that were so CPU-intensive, they'd play back with popping noises, stuttering, etc. However, BTD would render the final perfectly, even though it would take longer than Freezing would because DP was taking time with its computations to make everything error-free.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I haven't had a project like that in a long time, fortunately.
Interesting, but true! I've also seen that in some of my longer works (some easily over two hours). Realtime will be faster. Since moving to the 8-core and now the trash can, BTD is often a no-wait situation, especially going to an MP3. Bouncing to project format is always quickest of all. If a conversion to another format has to happen, that can really slow things down.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

philbrown wrote:As far as I can tell, freezing is just bouncing and then disabling the original the original track(s), and unfreezing is basically undoing the bounce and enabling the original track(s). Is there some other diference I'm missing? Just curious.
The most important distinction is that Freeze works at the track level i.e, it won't include anything from its sends or any automation "further down" in aux subgroups in the busing chain.
Bounce, OTOH, is global and will include everything that is routed to the main out, and is play-enabled, including FXs.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

FMiguelez wrote: The most important distinction is that Freeze works at the track level i.e, it won't include anything from its sends or any automation "further down" in aux subgroups in the busing chain.
Bounce, OTOH, is global and will include everything that is routed to the main out, and is play-enabled, including FXs.
That is good info, thanks, FM.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Bounce is near impossible to get more than stereo or surround audio files out of though.
I freeze to flatten all tracks to audio, since DP doesn't have that function.

I suppose what with how you have to create aux's at least in your Sequence/Chunk to freeze a V-Racked instrument etc. track, I get why MOTU don't offer a "Bounce all tracks as separate audio Files" type command, but I still think they should. It's a complete circus to render all tracks to audio in DP compared to Live, Logic, Cubase, etc. etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Michael Canavan wrote:"Bounce all tracks as separate audio Files"
+1 and add CHUNK Folders to that, please. Hold the pickle (so to speak).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Michael Canavan wrote:Bounce is near impossible to get more than stereo or surround audio files out of though.
I freeze to flatten all tracks to audio, since DP doesn't have that function.

I suppose what with how you have to create aux's at least in your Sequence/Chunk to freeze a V-Racked instrument etc. track, I get why MOTU don't offer a "Bounce all tracks as separate audio Files" type command, but I still think they should. It's a complete circus to render all tracks to audio in DP compared to Live, Logic, Cubase, etc. etc.
Agreed.

In the mean time, and depending on how much you do this kind of thing, it might be better to simply put Melda's Recorder plug-in in every track that you want to freeze. It will do just that: record the output of whatever track you put it to, and you can specify its propeties quickly in the dialog box.
Oh, and did I mention it's free?

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MRecorder
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:It's a complete circus to render all tracks to audio in DP compared to Live, Logic, Cubase, etc. etc.
For that reason i usually set up the sequence right from the start so it can record to audio tracks in one pass.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:It's a complete circus to render all tracks to audio in DP compared to Live, Logic, Cubase, etc. etc.
For that reason i usually set up the sequence right from the start so it can record to audio tracks in one pass.
Just a question concerning that, since that has always been my approach as well.

Doesn't the new system since 9.1 get forced into real-time mode when you record into AUX tracks? So, it cannot take advantage of the pre-rendering engine? (Or, is that a good thing?)

I've been wondering what the best approach should be with this new engine.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

terrybritton wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Just a question concerning that, since that has always been my approach as well.

Doesn't the new system since 9.1 get forced into real-time mode when you record into AUX tracks? So, it cannot take advantage of the pre-rendering engine? (Or, is that a good thing?)

Terry
You should be able to test that really pretty easily. I'm not sure how you guys are doing this but say you have V-Racked instruments and in your final MIDI/audio sequence you have Aux busses for all tracks. The Instruments can be assigned to the bus or to master out, doing both and registering the CPU difference would answer this. Plus all that VS opening all plug in Windows will 100% let you know if simply running a virtual instrument to a bus in you open sequence will stop pre-rendering.

Just the fact that you can send via bus the V-Racked instrument to an Aux or an audio track, or you can do what I often do, and drag the V-Rack into the Sequence/Chunk, then freeze... basically once virtual instruments became the norm, DP got complicated. :shock:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

terrybritton wrote:
bayswater wrote:

Terry
I don't use aux tracks for this. I route to audio tracks with monitoring on. It's a bit simpler. If an Aux is required in the signal path, I suppose its output would not be prerendered but this all works fine for me in 9.13.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8