Studio Upgrade Advice - Control Surface and Cuemix

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cody
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Studio Upgrade Advice - Control Surface and Cuemix

Post by cody »

I’m finally getting ready to retire my 2408mk3 and Panasonic DA7 mixing console! Most of my routing actually occurs through DP internally these days - so I really only use the console for AD/DA and monitoring dialog to music levels, click and speaker switching. All of this could happen in the box pretty easily. My plan is to get something like a Black Lion upgraded MOTU 16A and route out to my 5.1 that way, get a switch box for speakers, talkback, etc (open to suggestions here!) And then a control surface since I will now have the room. A few pertinent questions…any help is greatly appreciated!

MOTU Cuemix Software - are functions within their mixing software (which is stand alone outside of DP if I understand!) MIDI controllable? Would I be able to either map levels, on/off switches etc to MIDI commands from my Akai controller and/or map to controls on a control surface? Which leads me to…

Control Surface - I tried the Avid Artist Mix many years ago and my template had too many (mostly MIDI) tracks and made the whole system go haywire. I’m hoping Eucon has gotten better and I’ve also paired down my template a bit. I also would be jazzed about the Slate Raven MTI. My big question….can I “command shift” tracks that aren’t adjacent to each other and have those tracks be the faders I control on the surface? I.e. if I want to control the level of the flute (which is at the top of the track folder of WW) and tuba (at the bottom of the brass folder) can I select them both and have the surface mirror that? In my experience most of these surfaces rely on “pages.” Hoping to get around that without many work arounds.

I think that’s it for now - I’d be super grateful for any advice!

Kindest,

Cody
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)