Solo in MIDI Editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dogeatdogg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Solo in MIDI Editor

Post by dogeatdogg »

Help please.
I can't for the life of me figure out how to simply so a MIDI track in the editor.
All my Orchestral samples run on an external Mac via VEP6 so there are a lot of Aux busses.
I seem to not be the only person that finds Soloing in DP highly confusing.

Thanks
Mac Pro 10.11.5 48GB Ram, Cubase 9, DP 9, Lynx Aurora

www.dieterhartmann.com
FMiguelez

Re: Solo in MIDI Editor

Post by FMiguelez »

Have you read the manual?

DP's solo functions differently to what you may be used to, as it has 3 states.

It is all explained there in a few paragraphs.

Yes. You are the only one I've heard about in a long time being confused about it. DP's solo is more involved, with more options, and it is GREAT once you learn how to use it.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dix

Post by dix »

Check the options in MIDI Solo & Playthrough prefs. Unchecking Solo Frontmost MIDI Edit Window might make Soloing in the ME more like what you're expecting.

I'd love to be able to toggle this state with a key command rather than having to dig around in the prefs to change it. I find keeping that pref checked to be the most useful - so DP only plays the visible tracks in the ME when in Solo. But there's many times when I want it to behave the way it does in the SE - where Soloing only plays the tracks manually designated to be soloed.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dogeatdogg

Post by dogeatdogg »

Thanks man.

I haven't worked in DP in a decade so it's a bit of a fumble job.
I'm starting to figure it out however. Thank you!
Also, would you know why the 'Snap to Grid' checkbox in the snap information window is greyed out? Can not set snap to Beat, Marker or change to 16th note grid etc...
Would you know?

Thanks

www.dieterhartmann.com
dix

Post by dix »

No, sorry. I don't know offhand. For that you will need a manual. You do have one, right?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dogeatdogg

Post by dogeatdogg »

I do but certain things are just not in there.
Thanks though.

www.dieterhartmann.com