Snap audio or MIDI region to wiper ro beginning of selection

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dogeatdogg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Snap audio or MIDI region to wiper ro beginning of selection

Post by dogeatdogg »

I've been ripping the hair out of my head to figure out how this works.
Say, for example, I set my wiper to TC 01.12.22.14 and I want an audio or MIDI region to snap to that exact location is there a way to quickly do that with a key command?
Same goes for snapping several tracks to that TC location.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mac Pro 10.11.5 48GB Ram, Cubase 9, DP 9, Lynx Aurora

www.dieterhartmann.com
rawrooo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Snap audio or MIDI region to wiper ro beginning of selec

Post by rawrooo »

i would also like to know how to move a region and have it snap to the wiper location! in the sequence or MIDI editors mostly.

does anyone know?! so far searching the manual brings up a lot of non specific info to sort through.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The Shift command may do it. Try it out.

Also, I think there´s a command similar to "Paste at Wiper" or something like that, IIRC.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
rawrooo

Post by rawrooo »

FMiguelez wrote:The Shift command may do it. Try it out.

Also, I think there´s a command similar to "Paste at Wiper" or something like that, IIRC.
it doesnt seem to work. thx though
rawrooo

Post by rawrooo »

does anyone know how to move a MIDI note/soundbite and make it snap to the wiper location? this info would make my day soooo much easier today!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

rawrooo wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:The Shift command may do it. Try it out.

it doesnt seem to work. thx though
Why not? It works here...
rawrooo wrote:does anyone know how to move a MIDI note/soundbite and make it snap to the wiper location? this info would make my day soooo much easier today!
Like I suggested above, make a selection and use the Shift command (command-L). Then select from there the "To Time or Marker" tab, select the desired marker, and the start of the selected notes or audio region will move there.

The command remembers these settings, so the second time you want to move notes there you just select them, press Command-L followed by enter, and viol'a in 400 ms tops...

Do mind and set the Preserve Realtime Performance checkbox correctly! Very important!

If you want a related but faster workflow, you could try programming a macros app like Keyboard Maestro, but the above should do it.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Also, like I suggested in my first post, try the Paste at Wiper command (control-option-command-space).

Doesn't this do exactly what you want? :?

There are a plethora of related commands in the Commands window, such as Paste/Merge/Splice/Divide comp AT WIPER, as well as the same PLUS MULTIPLE...

Drumwizard

Post by Drumwizard »

Create Marker, turn on Snap To Marker, move MIDI or soundbite, then delete Marker.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

I'm not sure why, but if you turn off 'Smart Selections' the Paste at Wiper works (it's the last option in the Edit Menu). Otherwise it is somehow quantizing and pasting ahead or behind the wiper. Is that what you were seeing? You need to Cut or Copy and then use the paste. I have assigned the Paste at Wiper it's own key, but shift-space and pick it works fine.
DP 11.3 PT 2023.12 NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
DP 11.3 PT 2023.12 MOTU M4 on 2023 MacBook Air Sonoma
DP 11.3 PT 2023.12 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV VEP 7.x with various VIs on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
rawrooo

Post by rawrooo »

FMiguelez wrote: Like I suggested above, make a selection and use the Shift command (command-L). Then select from there the "To Time or Marker" tab, select the desired marker, and the start of the selected notes or audio region will move there.

The command remembers these settings, so the second time you want to move notes there you just select them, press Command-L followed by enter, and viol'a in 400 ms tops...

Do mind and set the Preserve Realtime Performance checkbox correctly! Very important!

If you want a related but faster workflow, you could try programming a macros app like Keyboard Maestro, but the above should do it.
FMiguelez thank you again for the suggestion, youre awesome but no this wasnt what i was looking for. im well aware of the technique myself, when appropriate it is very useful.

the issue with this method is that it's extremely slow compared to just dragging to where ive already got the wiper.

if im using the wiper as a visual locator on say a snare drum track, id like to be able to drag a MIDI note right onto the wiper. or when draggin a volume automation point when using that for manual deessing.

with the wiper i visually line up the spot i want, and im trying to find out how to get DP to snap to that location.

yes we can do this with beats (also inaccurate in my experience and takes a ton of tweaking to just get the beats into the right locations before they can even be used). it's not the same as snap to wiper though. with an effective "beat to transient" equivalent this would be a non issue for me most of the time. (im all ears if anyone's got that one going!)

ive been using DP since 1995 btw. and still so much to learn....

FMiguelez wrote:Also, like I suggested in my first post, try the Paste at Wiper command (control-option-command-space).

Doesn't this do exactly what you want? :?

im not intending to paste anything here but rather move notes/soundbites/automation points. or even when drawing them in.

Drumwizard wrote:Create Marker, turn on Snap To Marker, move MIDI or soundbite, then delete Marker.
Thank you as well. I do this sometimes, but making and then deleting individual markers is too is slow and preventatively laborious when fine tuning the timing of maybe 500-1000 notes in a song.

and without deleting them it also makes a mess of our single marker track. i use markers to get around the song (intro, verse 1 etc), having too many markers makes that a less effective way of getting around.

like many here i work extremely fast, honestly much faster than the interface will allow, and we aint got time for that unless it's THE best way in that situation.

im just trying to snap to wiper. the workarounds are fine but not the same. but thank you all for trying, for real!