Bouncing Superior Drummer Tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Hi,

I've had Superior Drummer for some time and honestly always just bounced out each drum track one at a time, which obviously takes a good amount of time for each drum. Is there a way to bounce all the tracks out as individual tracks at once in DP? I see in Superior Drummer that it has a 'Bounce' tab but am not sure how or if that will work in DP. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
FMiguelez

Re: Bouncing Superior Drummer Tracks

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes, you can.
It's especially useful if you want all your cymbals and drums independent. I've never bothered with it, but I know you can do it, and it's all automatic. The files are written wherever you want. Then, I suppose you can simply drag them into DP.
What I do is simply record straight into DP all the drums routed however I like in one pass. I really love SD :)

There's a great tutorial about SD2 over at Groove3 with a hilarious guy with a DEEP southern accent. He covers the whole instrument fairly deeply.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I was recently reminded of bouncing vs. freezing so I just wanna make sure that Csi is actually bouncing and not freezing.

For me, in a 4 minute song for instance, it only takes about 5-6 minutes total to bounce 5 drum tracks as opposed to freezing (which is in realtime) would take around 20 minutes.

Just making sure!

(And I haven't tried an all-at-once bounce from Superior Drummer, either.)

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

FMiguelez wrote: There's a great tutorial about SD2 over at Groove3 with a hilarious guy with a DEEP southern accent. He covers the whole instrument fairly deeply.
Well, Groove3 is located in Texas!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Great suggestions all!

I found this and it's exactly what I was looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTsHB7RaZk
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Superior 3 has more options. I'm still torn on the best approach so have reverted to individual tracking of kit pieces, but may change my mind again, as long as I can be happy with doing the mix inside S3 (which is limited to using their built-in effects, as far as I can tell, and that seems silly as I have such good plug-ins).

I haven't had a chance to canvas all of my kits to see if the choices are kit-specific or global to the application itself, but it seems there are three choices now.

One is to route everything to a single output pair, which is obviously quicker for overall routing if playing from a live e-drum trigger kit or recording a full drum set mix to the DAW.

Another is to route "grouped signals", such as Toms, all Snare mics, etc.

The third is to send every single mic channel to a separate output (actually, some of them might get consolidated a bit).

I personally find the middle choice unfortunate, because it doesn't match my own preference for drum grouping. So I kind of discarded that choice, but still have some interest in the individual routing.

Where it gets tricky is that each kit will have different choices about which mics are in play for each kit piece, so that makes it a bit tricky to take one uniform "set and forget" approach, which also would affect choices in how to "bounce" from Superior 3.

Most kits have no close mics at all for cymbals, including ride cymbal (which I close mic with a ribbon mic when doing real live drums in the studio). And often, just one stereo spaced pair. Yet snares usually have three mics: both a condenser and a dynamic on one head (I forget which one; probably the bottom) and a mic on the other head. Kicks have three as I recall, including sub-kick. And hi-hats have close mics and OH levels but are pulled WAY down by default (a bit too far, I feel).

The routing and mixing in Superior 3 may even be beyond that of BFD3; it can be a bit much to take in, and if bouncing, you'll have to be careful to look at each tab view in the Mixer window to make sure you haven't missed a routine that is playing part somewhere in the chain. But it is consistent, so it's just a learning curve and then you're ready to go. Fortunately, the defaults are well-thought-out.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH