Graphic processing power for Tracks Overview window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Graphic processing power for Tracks Overview window

Post by Tripi »

I've been noticing that scrolling around the Tracks Overview window in the latest DP is very slow and sluggish. Not impossible to use, but it feels choppy when scrolling down my long template. Moving around horizontally is pretty slow also. My computer is certainly up to the task, and maxed out on RAM. Just wondering what I could do (other than less tracks) to make it smoother. DP is the only software on my computer that has this graphic issue. Didn't there use to be a setting called Work Quanta that had something to do with this?

thanks!
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Tripi

Re: Graphic processing power for Tracks Overview window

Post by Tripi »

I should add that it seems to only be the Tracks Overview window. My Sequence window scrolls very smoothly up and down, and left and right. Weird.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I've noticed the same
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

That's two of us, but I'm thinking this is definitely baked in to the latest version of DP.

Try this quick experiment: Create a completely empty project. Add 250 MIDI tracks. Increase the tracks size until there are about 60 tracks visible on the page in the Tracks tab. Now try scrolling down. It's pretty choppy. If you change to the Sequence tab, it scrolls nice and smoothly.

Am I nuts?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Agree. It seems to be a recent thing. Same sequence is fine in the SE window. Maybe this is a result of the recent changes to the Track Window to allow vertical zooming.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yes. You are nuts. :D

Does your 12-core have the original video card in it? My 12-core 5,1 had a seriously wimpy card... like 256 megs of VRAM. I replaced it with a ATI Radeon HD 5870 with a gigabyte of VRAM. It doesn't stall regardless of conditions: I can run DP alongside a 4K, full screen video stream with so much as a dropped frame.

I see you're still running Yosemite and 9.02. I'd also suggest checking out the current Sierra OS and the most recent version of DP... much better memory handling.

But graphic glitches are rarely related to software or general hardware: it sounds to me like your graphics card is choking on the number of details you're throwing at it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Thanks for the ideas. I should update my signature here. I'm on Sierra with 64gb of Ram. I have two ATI Radeon cards in my computer that power 3 monitors and a big tv monitor. I can throw anything at this computer, and it doesn't break a sweat. I really doubt it's a hardware issue, especially since every other program I use scrolls smooth as expected.

I'm wondering if maybe DP is thinking about something on the Tracks window differently? If you scroll the Sequence window, you can see partial tracks as they enter the window. On Tracks view, it will only display a full track, no matter how large you zoom in to them.

Anyways, I'm not complaining about silly graphics hickups. This really slows things down when I'm trying to scroll through a large template and work efficiently. I emailed MOTU about it also.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:I see you're still running Yosemite and 9.02. I'd also suggest checking out the current Sierra OS and the most recent version of DP... much better memory handling.
I'm running the latest DP and OS X. I see a noticeable difference in the screen updates in a busy Tracks Window compared to DP 8.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
congalos

Post by congalos »

Hi Tripi!

Same issue here with me. It's also a problem in the MIDI Editor window. It's almost impossible to work. Such a drag (Pun intended). And the SE scrolls fine.

Have you heard anything from MOTU? Hope you're well buddy!

C
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I hope that's the Congalos I think it is!

I did hear back from MOTU. After 15 years of using DP, I finally have an inside man at MOTU HQ that I can ask questions to. He did a quick test, and found that it's a Sierra issue. At least, it doesn't happen in OS 10.10. He tested it on a Macbook running 10.12 and found that it behaved like I described. We are going to do a more thorough test tomorrow. Hopefully it's something they can fix.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

thanks for the info tripi. was considering moving up to Sierra .

guess that's another point against it and to hold off.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

OK here's my findings on my machine anyway. 250 blank MIDI tracks have no real issues scrolling in either Tracks or Sequence editors. Adding MIDI to all 250 tracks both struggle when collapsed to their smallest size. When either is expanded vertically they scroll a lot easier, with the Sequence performing much better when expanded vertically beyond what the Tracks window can do. Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Michael Canavan wrote:OK here's my findings on my machine anyway. 250 blank MIDI tracks have no real issues scrolling in either Tracks or Sequence editors. Adding MIDI to all 250 tracks both struggle when collapsed to their smallest size. When either is expanded vertically they scroll a lot easier, with the Sequence performing much better when expanded vertically beyond what the Tracks window can do. Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

What OS are you running Michael?
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Sierra 10.12.4, just upgraded from El Capitan the other day.
Like I mentioned scrolling is 100% affected by if there is data in the tracks and the size of the tracks, i.e. how fast the data is scrolling in and out of view on the screen, although it does seem like the Sequence editor scrolled all the way out is the smoothest, that could at least in my case be due to the horizontal size of the track being effectively much much larger than in Tracks.

One thing DP does not at all like click drag copying 30+ tracks of MIDI! Not that there's much precedent for that beyond testing..
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Just out of curiosity tonight, I tested this same experiment with my old G4 PowerBook running DP5.13 (probably the greatest version of DP ever!). 250 MIDI tracks glide up and down with the scroll bar perfectly. This is a 15 year old laptop with 4GB of Ram in it.

Anyways, MOTU knows about the graphics issues, and confirmed it with me. I'd seriously pay $1000 tomorrow for a version of DP that had a smoother interface like Ableton Live. I just feel like DP gets clunkier to use every time I open it. Things like user interface and having a smooth work flow are worth a hundred times more than having 30 virtual guitar pedals in a DAW. Just my 2 cents.