Which OS?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
RROY
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Which OS?

Post by RROY »

I have a mid 2010 5.1 Mac Pro with Mountain Lion. I want to update the OS. Is there any consensus on going with El Capitan, or is Sierra solid at this point?
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
Tonio

Re: Which OS?

Post by Tonio »

I've been contemplating the same.

Do you already have a copy of El Cap installer? Otherwise you're stuck to go to Sierra.

Sierra has SIP hidden, so need to use a terminal command to bring it back.

See here, thanks to Mike H:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63217&start=15
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
RROY

Post by RROY »

I do have an El Cap installer. But I'm also thinking why not just install Sierra now, to save having to do another OS install in 6 to 8 months. What is SIP? Probably not "Solo In Place".
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I moved from ML to Sierra and, except for the 9.1x MIDI cc64 punch in bug (which does not appear to be os related) all is well. Sierra is cool if you want to use a more current GPU and drive a 4K monitor.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

SIP= system integrity protection - you cannot install non app store or Apple signed app's without disabling the feature in OS X.

Mike provided the terminal command ( see the link in my previous post) to un hide SIP in Sierra.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tonio wrote:SIP= system integrity protection - you cannot install non app store or Apple signed app's without disabling the feature in OS X.

Mike provided the terminal command ( see the link in my previous post) to un hide SIP in Sierra.
You are confusing SIP with Gatekeeper, part of the OS since Lion but now hidden in Sierra.

SIP is enabled by default in El Cap and Sierra. Apps are now brickwalled from the Root (and should have been since Lion but not all developers believed that Apple meant it). To disable, one must Option-Boot into the Recovery partition and run certain commands.

Anyway, certain old applications and installers will not work properly if SIP is enabled and this caused a lot of grief a couple of years ago. If SIP is not an issue, leave it alone — there are many old threads if it causes problems and I do have the terminal commands archived.

It's safe to say that all supported apps have released drivers and updates that comply with the Apple Toolkit now (old ones can be a different issue). If you are on Yosemite and everything is working well, you are unlikely to have issues involving SIP when you upgrade (Soundflower may be an exception and there are versions that no longer write to the Root).

Disabling Gatekeeper will allow DP 7.24 to be installed up to El Cap. Nothing will make that installer work in Sierra including disabling SIP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I skip every other OSX release. Just recently upgraded to Sierra from Yosemite. No issues so far.
El Crapitan (spelling intentional) was in between Yosemite and Sierra. Apple has long had a habit of releasing screwed-up OSX versions which are always followed by another version that "fixes" the previous lame version.

Example - Leopard (bad)>Snow Leopard (great) Lion (bad)>Mountain Lion (great) Mavericks (bad)> Yosemite (great)>El Crap (bad)> Sierra (great - so far).

You can't get El Crap from the App Store anymore anyway. I suggest moving up to Sierra. But yes, you really do need to upgrade your version of DP.

Never even knew SIP existed, don't care since I don't use many apps on my Mac Pro. To get around Gatekeeper without diving into the Terminal, download and install Mountain Tweaks. It was made for Mountain Lion but works fine in Sierra, and it disables gatekeeper as well as other "convenient" features like disappearing scrollbars - donationware:

http://tweaksapp.com/app/mountain-tweaks/
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Following, as I'm really close to going to Sierra-Land. (From 10.8.5)

Making my application list and checking which (primarily non-audio) apps, etc. might need updating.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

buzzsmith wrote:Following, as I'm really close to going to Sierra-Land. (From 10.8.5)

Making my application list and checking which (primarily non-audio) apps, etc. might need updating.

Buzzy
I say go for it. I just updated my wife's Mac from Mountain Lion to Sierra and she had a bunch of vintage clerical software on it including Office 2011 and Acrobat Pro 8. I was dreading it, but it turned out to be very painless. After the update her Mac even decided her printer and scanner drivers needed an update, too. All is well.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

[quote]I skip every other OSX release. Just recently upgraded to Sierra from Yosemite. [/quote]

Yeah, I've been strictly 10.4→10.6→10.8→10.10. I never even used the odd numbers. I just went from 10.8.5 to 10.10.5. I can't say I'm thrilled with it, but after many days of sorting things out it's working well enough to not make me go back. For now.

I always just buy a new set of drives when I upgrade and leave my old system and one backup just like it was. Clone it over and start from there.

My disappointment with Apple is that every new OS breaks compatibility with older stuff I like, which is understandable, but as time goes on each one brings me less positives. Tags is really the only thing I like about 10.10, and that wasn't worth switching for. Compatibility with new releases is the only real plus. Losing old software sort of balances it out though.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:...I say go for it. I just updated my wife's Mac from Mountain Lion to Sierra and she had a bunch of vintage clerical software on it including Office 2011 and Acrobat Pro 8. I was dreading it, but it turned out to be very painless. After the update her Mac even decided her printer and scanner drivers needed an update, too. All is well.
Yea, Acrobat 8 will no longer install but if it's already installed, it will work when you upgrade the OS. Office 2008 is the same way. Office 2011 and Acrobat Pro can still be installed in Sierra — you may have to disable Gatekeeper but that's easy as I've mentioned.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Nigel Keay

Post by Nigel Keay »

mikehalloran wrote: Disabling Gatekeeper will allow DP 7.24 to be installed up to El Cap. Nothing will make that installer work in Sierra including disabling SIP.
If DP 7.24 is already installed on an i5 machine running OSX10.7.5 is this version of DP likely to keep running if the OS is upgraded directly to Sierra?
DP10.13, OSX 10.13.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Dorico Pro 3.5, Sibelius 7.1.3, MOTU Mosaic 1.5, MOTU Traveler mk1.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Nigel Keay wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Disabling Gatekeeper will allow DP 7.24 to be installed up to El Cap. Nothing will make that installer work in Sierra including disabling SIP.
If DP 7.24 is already installed on an i5 machine running OSX10.7.5 is this version of DP likely to keep running if the OS is upgraded directly to Sierra?
I wish I could help, but I really just wanted to say that it's nice to see you back here, Nigel. :) If you don't recognize "Tritonemusic", I used to go by "666" in the old days.

Sorry for going OT.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Nigel Keay wrote:
Yes, it will still run—at least my copy does. I keep it in case I have to revisit some old projects. They will open on 9 but not all the plugins do. Sometimes, it's easier to analyze them and replace ancient plugs in 7.24 than open in 9 and guess how the heck I did (fill in the blank).

I don't know that, if you had a system crash, a Time Machine restore would work to restore 7.24 but it might as long as you have access to a CD drive to Authorize the license. I think it should but, till something happens, I'm not going to know for certain.

A fresh install of DP 7 cannot be done in Sierra. I tested that to satisfy my curiosity.
Nigel Keay

Post by Nigel Keay »

Thanks for the welcome back "666", it's true I haven't posted much recently, but have been dropping in to read what's goin' on.
Thanks mikehalloran for that info. I got Dorico recently then realised it needs Mavericks or later to run, so I think I've almost got the courage to update to Sierra. I also want to keep Sibelius 7.1.3 running, and from what I've read that'll work too.

Even Adobe CS5 seems to work on Sierra (we already have Sierra on another machine). After a quick glance at CS5 Bridge, which I like using to put metadata on audio files created by DP, the itunes icon shows on .wav and .mp3 inside Bridge and doesn't allow the file to be modified. PDF and jpeg files allow the tagging. I assume Bridge basically works but there's something controlled by itunes that prevents tagging the audio files.
DP10.13, OSX 10.13.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Dorico Pro 3.5, Sibelius 7.1.3, MOTU Mosaic 1.5, MOTU Traveler mk1.