DP Pitch Melodyne

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Pitch Melodyne

Post by mikehalloran »

For me, the best time stretch and pitch is found in isotope RX, it is called "Radius”.
That threw me for a moment. I remember when Radius for Logic was bundled with RX as a separate tool. The had to do that since Logic did not allow destructive editing back in the day. I also know that Izotope licenses it to Digidesign as a plug in PT. It never occurred to me that I might have had it all along.

Sure enough, I opened my copy of RX 6A scrolled all the way down to Time & Pitch and there is Radius in the settings. I've never used it in any version of RX I've had — time to give it a try. No idea if the standard version is as tweakable as Advanced but Radius is included in both versions.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... tures.html

Thanks for the heads-up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:
For me, the best time stretch and pitch is found in isotope RX, it is called "Radius”.
That threw me for a moment. I remember when Radius for Logic was bundled with RX as a separate tool. The had to do that since Logic did not allow destructive editing back in the day. I also know that Izotope licenses it to Digidesign as a plug in PT. It never occurred to me that I might have had it all along.

Sure enough, I opened my copy of RX 6A scrolled all the way down to Time & Pitch and there is Radius in the settings. I've never used it in any version of RX I've had — time to give it a try. No idea if the standard version is as tweakable as Advanced but Radius is included in both versions.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... tures.html

Thanks for the heads-up.
The tricky part is using the right settings. I think they got rid of a lot of confusing options and now you only have to choose between a few such as- vocals/vocals pre mix/full mix/solo inst/piano. Some experimentation is indicated, and there are deep settings if you get any sort of artifact. Takes a bit of getting used to. Do some testing and let me know how the results compare to other products.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I have had mostly excellent results with DP's pitch automation. I keep thinking I'll try Melodyne one day.. but for what?

DP has one feature that for me, always makes it superior to other solutions: The pitch automation is included in the Merge Audio command. I can finalize the pitch on a track, and then bounce it in place without the mixing desk (along with all the fixes/crossfades and edits). Then I'm exactly where I was in the mix, but with a nice clean, tuned audio track.

Plus, I have found that with even the default settings, I've been able to use the quantize command on whole tracks (especially backing vocals), as a starting point, where I go back in and repair the unnatural parts. Fastest way to get the job done, sometimes.

The only thing I wish is that there were more key commands for actual editing of the pitch, as opposed to mouse/trackpad clicks.. gets so tedious.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Killahurts wrote:I have had mostly excellent results with DP's pitch automation. I keep thinking I'll try Melodyne one day.. but for what? ...
I see nothing in Melodyne Basic that can't be done in DP.

Melodyne (from Assistant up) has polyphonic editing capabilities that can fix pitches and timing of individual notes inside a piano track (or guitar or orchestra or choir etc.). Nothing else that I know can do this. Editor adds more features and Studio lets you fix pitch and timing problems across multiple tracks.

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/new-in-melodyne-4

It's really not a question of which is better. If you have a track that can only be fixed in Melodyne, it doesn't matter what DP can or cannot do.

Hmmmm.... going to that link, I see an update to 4.1 is out. I need to do that.

New in the free update to Version 4.1

Improvements in ARA operation (simultaneous editing of multiple tracks, comping)
Better sound quality for soprano voices and high-pitched monophonic instruments
The familiar “Separate Notes as Trill” command from Melodyne studio 3 is once again available
Additional keyboard shortcuts and alternative contrast settings for the user interface
Minor bug fixes and various other optimizations
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

It all really depends on the vocal and how it was recorded. It seems that whenever one can't handle certain high frequency content in a vocal, the other can. I always default to DP because it sounds so much more natural, but I keep Melodyne around to catch a line or two that DP just can't seem to do without fuzzing out the top.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

amplidood wrote:It all really depends on the vocal and how it was recorded. It seems that whenever one can't handle certain high frequency content in a vocal, the other can. I always default to DP because it sounds so much more natural, but I keep Melodyne around to catch a line or two that DP just can't seem to do without fuzzing out the top.
+1!! :D
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/