A guide to using Melodyne in DP 9.13

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A guide to using Melodyne in DP 9.13

Post by David Polich »

Today was the first day I tried doing a lot of work with Melodyne 4(latest version) on vocal tracks. I discovered there is a BIG difference in the way Melodyne 4 works in 9.13.

Long story short - at buffer sizes above 512, Melodyne 4 will often cause ALL the audio in a project to become garbled and stuttering. On my system, that is. But if you are running a higher buffer setting and using Melodyne 4, try lowering it to 512 or below. In DP 9.02 or earlier, Melodyne 4 would give you a warning if the buffer was set at 512, saying it needed to see a setting of at least 1024. In DP 9.13, I no longer see this message with buffer settings at 512. And Melodyne 4 works just fine at that buffer (haven't tried it yet at 256 or lower).

Second BIG note - you MUST enable the "Run Open Instances of this PlugIn in Real-Time" for Melodyne 4. If you don't, it will only run in real-time when there is actual audio present, then it stops processing until it sees the next audio blob. Result - glitches, stuttering, the garbled audio. As users of Melodyne 4 know, there is no way to edit within Melodyne 4 without the plug-in's window open.

Again, this is on my system. YMMV.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: A guide to using Melodyne in DP 9.13

Post by terrybritton »

Handy information to have - thanks, David!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools