Key command question - Graphic Editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
marquito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by marquito »

Just upgraded to DP 9.13 and noticing some strangeness with certain key commands...

In earlier versions of DP when in the Graphic (MIDI) Editor hitting TAB would advance the selection from one note to the next note on the grid (or list) and Option-Tab would select the previous note. It was a quick way to get around and select events. The commands are called either Next or Previous List Element in the Commands Window.

In 9.13 however hitting TAB opens up the field to edit the grid resolution in the top right corner of the window instead. Option-Tab still selects the Previous event as expected.

So I go to the Commands window and see that TAB is assigned correctly to 'Next' and verified that it's not assigned anywhere else in case there was a conflict. The Previous command meanwhile has nothing assigned in the Commands window but for some reason still responds to the Option-Tab command.

However, when I try to assign a different key to the 'Next List Element' it still won't respond - no matter what key command I assign to it.

So, it would appear that the 'Next List Element' command is not working or is somehow disabled and also that the TAB key has been mysteriously 'hardwired' to open up the Grid Resolution field.

Can anyone else reproduce or verify this behaviour or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help!
reedster

Re: Key command question - Graphic Editor

Post by reedster »

Move Selection to Next Event is the command associated with Tab in Commands window that "advances the selection from one note to the next note"

Over here the Tab key does as you described. All Controls setting may be the issue: http://osxdaily.com/2010/02/26/use-the- ... -mac-os-x/

Assigning "Move Selection to Next Event" to a MIDI event or a different key combination does get the command working. Tested with shortcut Shift Control Option Command Tab.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
marquito

Post by marquito »

Well spotted!

'All Controls' was indeed the reason for the default Tab command no longer working like it used to - the OS now seems to prioritise its use within DP for text boxes and data entry etc. I hadn't noticed it before and wonder when that became the case... Yosemite, Sierra?

I had also forgotten the exact name of the key command which added to my confusion.

Anyhow, I've now got the command working again by reassigning it to a different key combination.

Thanks so much for the reply!
dogeatdogg

Post by dogeatdogg »

I just assigned different key commands and it is now working.
Thank you
Mac Pro 10.11.5 48GB Ram, Cubase 9, DP 9, Lynx Aurora

www.dieterhartmann.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

reedster wrote: Over here the Tab key does as you described. All Controls setting may be the issue: http://osxdaily.com/2010/02/26/use-the- ... -mac-os-x/

Assigning "Move Selection to Next Event" to a MIDI event or a different key combination does get the command working. Tested with shortcut Shift Control Option Command Tab.
Now I got it working and I see how it's useful.

Thank you for the tip, reedster 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

marquito wrote: So, it would appear that the 'Next List Element' command is not working or is somehow disabled and also that the TAB key has been mysteriously 'hardwired' to open up the Grid Resolution field.
Hey this is obviously a bug, repeatable and not what we or MOTU want. We should all report it. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Michael Canavan wrote:
marquito wrote: So, it would appear that the 'Next List Element' command is not working or is somehow disabled and also that the TAB key has been mysteriously 'hardwired' to open up the Grid Resolution field.
Hey this is obviously a bug, repeatable and not what we or MOTU want. We should all report it. :x
But to be clear, is a selected note in the MIDI graphic editor considered to be a "List Element"? In other words, does the "Next List Element" command not work when it is an actual list (like a chunk in the chunk list, or a note in the event list, etc.)?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote: But to be clear, is a selected note in the MIDI graphic editor considered to be a "List Element"? In other words, does the "Next List Element" command not work when it is an actual list (like a chunk in the chunk list, or a note in the event list, etc.)?
On my system at least, and I suspect it's true for all of us it's Move Selection to Next Event that's assigned to the Tab key command, the Option Tab key command Move Selection to Previous Event works as expected in the Graphic Editor as described by marqito, and the Tab key command jumps to edit the grid resolution instead of (on my system at least) doing what it's assigned to which is Move Selection to Next Event.

I wish the Commands window had a simple "search for key command" as in jotting in Option Tab would bring up any key commands assigned to that function, but the work around is easy, just fake assign an empty key command slot in the Commands window and DP will tell you what commands are assigned to that key command and ask you if you want to assign anyway.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Michael Canavan wrote:
stubbsonic wrote: I wish the Commands window had a simple "search for key command" as in jotting in Option Tab would bring up any key commands assigned to that function, but the work around is easy, just fake assign an empty key command slot in the Commands window and DP will tell you what commands are assigned to that key command and ask you if you want to assign anyway.
Just thinking the same thing last week. Why the search command ignores key commands doesn't make any sense to me. A semi-automatic way to "Disable Other Key Commands" would be nice too, instead of having to hunt down the other assignments and delete them manually.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

On a related note, I'd sure like a little legend saying what all those key symbols are.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

frankf

Post by frankf »

Copy/paste the table in this URL (http://www.osxkeyboardshortcuts.com/key ... mbols.html) into a text or word or whatever file (or add the URL itself), and add the text file it URL to a DP global clipping called Help or similar. Optionally: Put the open Help Clipping somewhere on your screen in your templates and re save them. Tip: Put PDF manuals for plug ins, effects, hardware or any other work related files you may need access to while in DP. You can leave the actual files where they live and put its alias in the Help clippings folder.

To find if keystrokes are used in DP I type them into an empty slot in the Commands window as mentioned. A dialogue will pop up if there's a conflict and show the conflict(s). BUT, you have to search manually for keystrokes assigned in System Preference>Keyboard. I've never seen a way to list those but maybe a script is out there. BTW, if you use Keyboard Maestro and assign Global shortcuts there you can also run into conflicts. True for any background utility that let's you assign a global keystroke to a function.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a great idea. I haven't fully embraced clippings in my workflow, but this is yet another very clever and HELPful (pun intended?) tip. I just downloaded that PDF. THANKS!!