Velocity MIDI data display in 9.13 - Unusable!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
marquito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Velocity MIDI data display in 9.13 - Unusable!!!

Post by marquito »

Hi all

I finally upgraded to DP 9.13 today but was shocked how poor the visibility was for velocity data in the MIDI Edit window - specifically Note On Velocity.

This was never one of DP's strong points but now the velocity stems in the Nine Theme are practically invisible even when selected. I'm amazed MOTU haven't picked up on this - it's such an essential editing function.

I have gone and hacked into the resource files (as per another thread on the forum) so they display as tiny yellow dots - very slightly better but the stems are still almost invisible - and everything is microscopically small.

Does anyone know which specific graphic I could edit to make the stems a lighter color?

Actually there are real visibility issues in a number of areas in the Nine theme but the velocity display is just ridiculously poor. I tried some of the other themes but actually there's not much improvement in any of them.

What's the best way of putting pressure on MOTU to improve the situation - I can't believe it would be hard for them to improve this.
mikehalloran

Re: Velocity MIDI data display in 9.13 - Unusable!!!

Post by mikehalloran »

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified
???
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

MOTU must face!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
marquito

Post by marquito »

[quote][/quote]

Sorry - i'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh, oh... the "U" word! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ask one of the DP theme gurus of the board...

If all you want is to make the velocities' handles bigger, I would expect it to be easy doing it if you know how to mess with themes and their components. Maybe they know to do it.

I would be interested, since I'd love to also make the CC lane's background (the pane background) in the GE, SE and TO a little lighter, so there's more contrast and the velocities are easier to see in the 9.0 and Plasma themes.

I wouldn't call it unusable, though...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Actually, I would also like a way to darken the measure and beat subdivisions in the grids, since they are so faint in themes like Plasma.

Is that doable changing the default themes?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Vewilya

Post by Vewilya »

marquito wrote:Hi all

I finally upgraded to DP 9.13 today but was shocked how poor the visibility was for velocity data in the MIDI Edit window - specifically Note On Velocity.

This was never one of DP's strong points but now the velocity stems in the Nine Theme are practically invisible even when selected. I'm amazed MOTU haven't picked up on this - it's such an essential editing function.

I have gone and hacked into the resource files (as per another thread on the forum) so they display as tiny yellow dots - very slightly better but the stems are still almost invisible - and everything is microscopically small.

Does anyone know which specific graphic I could edit to make the stems a lighter color?

Actually there are real visibility issues in a number of areas in the Nine theme but the velocity display is just ridiculously poor. I tried some of the other themes but actually there's not much improvement in any of them.

What's the best way of putting pressure on MOTU to improve the situation - I can't believe it would be hard for them to improve this.
I found this helpful:
http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... rrows.html
marquito

Post by marquito »

Thanks, that's very helpful.

I'm used to the velocity stalks and points being tiny having worked with them for over 20 years but in the default Nine theme it's even worse - they are all but invisible because there is no color contrast... hence my frustration!

I just wish MOTU would sort this out - it seems absurd to have to hack into the application's graphics files for such a basic function.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

marquito wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful.

I'm used to the velocity stalks and points being tiny having worked with them for over 20 years but in the default Nine theme it's even worse - they are all but invisible because there is no color contrast... hence my frustration!

I just wish MOTU would sort this out - it seems absurd to have to hack into the application's graphics files for such a basic function.
MOTU reps not always read these boards, so make sure you let MOTU know about this, otherwise they won't improve it. Call them or start a support ticket regarding your issue.